Chapter VIII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Dawn takes a short cut to the kitchens but has to put a stop to her footsteps as she hears two men conversing in low deep voices. A door she is about to pass is open partially but no light comes from it. All the curtains within must be drawn. She inches closer as the voices continue to murmur. She slips in and peeks around the corner. It is Gethin, but who is he speaking with? It most certainly is not Gavriel or Lord Kier. From her hiding place it would be difficult to spot her as she is enshrouded in shadows. Their eyes would have to be keen and know that someone was indeed watching them in order to spot her. Gethin shakes his head and gestures wildly with his hands.

The strange man tilts his head and raises his hand to stifle a yawn. This seems to infuriate Gethin but he holds his temper under control. She studies the man trying to figure out which warrior it could possibly be and why they would meet without Gavriel. The man's hair is an inky black and long enough to run fingers through but no longer. The man shifts and she catches a glimpse of his face. He has a very strong, masculine face with a chiselled jaw. The same jaw that now jumps slightly with impatience. His eyes are indescribably dark, no sign of a coloured iris from her viewpoint. His chest rises and falls, a sound of exasperation falling from his lips. Gethin carries on muttering but the man is clearly losing interest.

His eyes wander and she shrinks back against the wall as his eyes slide past. "Enough." His deep voice sounds out and Gethin is silenced. "I will see what I can find, until then keep your mouth shut." He orders in a voice that is clear he has never been disobeyed. "Leave." Gethin bites back a few choice words and thankfully leaves through the door on the opposite side of the room.

Dawn is about to slide back out the way she came when his voice is heard again. "I do not appreciate being watched." She freezes; surely he is referring to someone else who may have just come into the room. She peeks around the corner and jumps back in surprise. He stands before her, towering above her. He looks down with pitch black eyes, his head slightly tilted to the side. Her heart leaps into her throat and she shakes. His jaw line softens but only slightly. "You will not tell anyone what you have seen or heard. If I find out my description has crosses your lips, you will rue this day."

She blinks and he is gone. She steps into the room and looks around. Only the slight breeze from the now closed doors shows which way he went. She rubs her arms.

"Dawn?" She jumps and spins round, her blue eyes pale and wide as they dart to the source of her name. "You looked panicked, child. Is there something you need to speak about?" Dawn puts effort into slowing her rapidly beating heart but as she has always felt on edge around this woman, she fails to do so. Outwardly though, she produces a cool and calm exterior.

"Lady Aileen," Dawn sinks into a deep curtsey, bowing her head so she does have to meet those calculating eyes. Dawn steps forward, hoping that Lady Aileen will move out her way. She hopes that she will let her go with no further interrogation. Her hopes are dashed to pieces on the rocks. Lady Aileen stays rooted to the ground, one eyebrow rising in disbelief.

"Child," she calls her, demeaning Dawn as the woman she is. "Why did you look so panicked when I entered the room?" Her amber eyes narrow and Dawn bites down harshly on her tongue. Aileen looks around the darkened room. An expression passes her face that Dawn finds difficult to decipher until it turns to one of haughtiness. Her eyes fall back on Dawn. "Were you meeting someone here?"

"No, my Lady." Dawn pushes out the words, barely audible but Aileen hears them.

"I do not tolerate servants slacking while they should be working. If I find you in this situation again..."

"You can do nothing." Dawn interjects before the colour drains from her face. "I am not one of your servants. I am one of your daughter's friends and you have not found me in a situation even once." The words fall from her lips like vomit and she is unable to bite back even one.