Chapter XXII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Where were you?" Hunter is barely through the front door when Logan questions him. Hunter chucks him an apple with a fake smile on his lips. Logan catches it and raises one of his eyebrows. "You expect me to believe you went out to get us apples? We have been eating them for weeks now."

Hunter chews on the inside of his cheek as he walks through into the kitchen. He places the apples down and comes back and leans against the door frame. "Where do you think I was?"

Logan shakes his head and rises to his feet. He turns to his brother and sighs. "I am asking you to be honest with me. Why is that so difficult for you?" Hunter does not answer. "We are family, whether you agree or not. Wolfe, Bear and Bronco would never keep secrets as easily as you seem to do. Why do you feel you are unable to confide in me?"

"I do not have to deal with this." Hunter says sharply before striding over to the doorway. Logan watches him go with a growing frown.

He sinks down into chair and mutters, "What have you done that is so bad you will not tell me?"

○ ○ ○

Sweat drips down Hunter's bare torso but he does not stop. He drives his dagger deep into the dead carcass of the tree he has been slowly destroying for the past two hours. He twists it in, his face screwing up in anger. The delicate healing skin on his hand pulls and sends a sharp pain shooting up his arm. He releases the dagger and takes a step back. He deliberately takes long breaths trying to cool down, trying to calm down. He takes a good look at the tree. Slashes and chunks have been torn into every part of its remaining trunk. The tree had already been dead but there is little chance it will revive now. The dagger is driven in all the way to its hilt. With his uninjured hand Hunter yanks it out and secures it to his belt.

"Should you not be guarding your brother?" Every muscle on Hunter's body tenses. This does not go unnoticed by Zara who sees all of his muscles on his back and torso bunch up. Hunter swings to face her, his eyes flashing with thunder and lightning.

"He does not need my protection, not now he is no longer deprived of food, water, light or those who care about him." Hunter bites out snidely. He retrieves his shirt and cloak from the branch of a tree; he does not put them on. He feels sticky and knows he needs to wash.

"I know I did the wrong thing, I do not need you to remind me." She replies, a little defensive.

"Why are you here?" Hunter ignores her words as he walks away, searching for a stream. She hurries after him, his long strides covering much more distance than her shorter ones.

"Your brother is now proven innocent but that does not mean you are."

Hunter pauses and turns to her, a dangerous growl emitting from his chest. Zara stumbles back a step, her grey eyes widening in alarm. His eyes narrow. "You are afraid of me." He steps towards her, his frame appearing to block out all light. "Yet you could not have expected a calm reaction when you say words such as those."

"You are right. I did not but I thought you would hold yourself back. I am..."

"The new leader of Ricell. I am aware." Hunter chuckles and turns away. He carries on searching for a stream. Zara bites her lip and runs after him.

"This way." She briefly touches his arm before leading him off to the right. Hunter purses his lips but follows her anyway. She stops by a natural pool with a stream running into it and another running from it. Hunter drops his shirt and cloak on a dry rock and kneels down by the pool and scoops up the deliciously cool water and splashes it on his face. "I never realised you were so observant." Zara comments absentmindedly. Hunter momentarily glances up at her, a frown edged on his forehead.