Chapter XIII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Zara paces up and down the garden path, the hem of her dress picking up more and more dirt. Her mother would be so mad at her right now if she saw what she was doing. Zara pauses to run her hands through her hair. Wolfe and his army have gone from the sight of the manor now. They won't come back. Not now that Logan has escaped. Her fingers snag on a knot and she works to undo it. It's something to occupy her mind and her hands for a little while. It releases fairly quickly and she resorts to pacing once again. The hem of her dress is now a murky brown.

"Zara?" She stops and swings round.

"Egan." She says, a smile forming on her lips. She rushes to him and takes his hands. He regards her warily, her behaviour out of the ordinary for him.

"Ebony told me that you wished to speak with me."

"Ask me to marry you." She rushes the words from her mouth.

"Excuse me?" He frowns and glances around. "You told me you wished to wait until this mess was over. This mess has just gotten bigger."

She gulps before scowling at him. She releases his hands and pokes his chest. "What happened to you wanting to marry me? Am I spoilt goods now?" With each question she jabs him before turning on her heels.

"Of course I want to marry you but..."

"There is no but, you either ask me to marry you or you don't. If you won't I will simply find someone else." She declares with a wave of her hands.

Egan catches her by the arm and studies her. She squirms under his thoughtful scrutiny. "Logan has escaped from the dungeons; I cannot believe that you are in your right mind in these moments. Saying you will marry another only proves it." Zara breaks away but does not leave.

"Logan will be captured; it will only be a matter of time." She starts, no longer sounding so desperate. "I have to start living my life again no matter what is happening concerning him. I want to marry you." She strokes his arm, looking up at him with wide, beguiling eyes. "You have been there for me through everything so far and I now see what I should have seen a long, long time ago. We are a good match and I do not want to wait anymore."

She waits for his response as his mind considers her words. She wonders why he has not jumped at the chance. With only a few short words he could become part of a great and powerful family with lands as far as the eye can see. He could not possibly decide not to marry her, not now.

He sinks down onto one knee and takes her hand. Zara smiles down at him, her face growing in warmth and adoration towards him. "I am afraid I do not have a ring to hand." She laughs.

"I do not think it is necessary." She soothes his worry.

"Zara Ricell, will you do me the great honour of becoming my wife?" The moment draws out and Zara struggles. This is what she wants, this is what she planned. She should be saying yes.

"Of course." She finally manages. His face breaks out into a huge grin and he stands. She grins back, unable to tell how much is real and how much she is faking. A hole has formed inside her and she does not know what will fill it. His hand cups her face and he slowly leans in. She swallows nervously. His lips touch hers. She kisses him back and closes her eyes. Another face jumps into her mind and she flinches.

Egan breaks away and looks at her with concern. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, of course I am." She replies, cursing herself inwardly for flinching. She does not want to feel the guilt that has risen within her. "We must go and tell father our good news." She places her hand within Egan's and pulls him to go and find Lord Kier.