Chapter XXVIII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

Hunter scoffs as he looks around Gethin supposed 'dungeon cell'. His brother had been plunged into complete darkness unless someone came along and burnt his eyes with the bright light of a fiery torch. He had the thinnest hardest mat to sleep on and little in terms of food or water. The cell had smelt strongly and he was given no change of clothes or courtesy as the brother of the Lord of Usani. Hunter had been disgusted at the time and still was. He was just relieved he had gotten him out of there. Now that disgust grew to epic proportions.

Gethin sits on a mattress raised off the floor with fresh sheets and plump pillows. The dungeon has plenty of daylight streaming in from a barred window in the ceiling. Even if that was not there, burning torches are on the walls. Hunter is sure that upon Gethin's orders they would be extinguished for the nights. He even has a fine wooden desk and a comfortable chair if he wished to sit and compose a few letters. The cell is completely clean and fairly warm. He surely is escorted somewhere else if he wished to use the washroom.

Hunter bites down his tongue until he tastes blood.

"What is he doing here?" Gethin barks at Orion who simply crosses his arms and remains silent. Gethin gulps slightly as he sees the glint of metal at Orion's waist.

"Your friend here wished for me to come and visit you." Hunter says with a fake smile. Gethin frowns at Orion.

"Have you been in this together all along?" Gethin asks quickly, the idea dawning on him. "No wonder I ended up down here. I am innocent and I will prove it!" He rises to his feet and stalks forward. Hunter raises an eyebrow and sighs.

He looks sideways at Orion before replying, "I have never seen this man before in my life." apart from when I look in a mirror, a voice states in his head. "Trust me, I have better things to do than implicate you in attempted murder."

Gethin exhales slowly and rubs the back of his neck. "Why did you bring him down here? You should have spoken with me first." Orion considers his tone before deciding it is respectful enough, if a little frustrated.

"I found him searching through your room. He was not looking for your guilt. If I had waited he would have gotten away." Orion replies easily, his eyes sliding over to Hunter who watches Gethin's reaction.

"You work for my brother." Hunter nods in response. "Has he recovered completely? They will not tell me. Everyone is convinced I poisoned him." Gethin hangs his head, anger blurring his vision.

"He is well. The poison, I believe, has been flushed out and he is no longer at risk. Not everyone believes you to be guilty." Gethin's head snaps up. "Gavriel tells me he knows you are innocent of trying to murder him." Relief is visible on the Ricells face. "He is not so sure about who poisoned your father."

Gethin looks to Orion. Orion hesitates a moment before inclining his head slightly. Hunter glowers. "I promise you that I did not poison Gavriel and I absolutely did not murder Jasiel. I am willing to sign away my right to rule if the succession falls to me." He pauses and Hunter shoots him a look that clearly shows he does not care what he does. "I was giving my father something but it is not lethal."

"Why would you give your father something? What purpose does that serve?"

"It mimics the symptoms of a fever without any risk. I thought it would speed up his choice on his heir. I thought it would fall to me or Gavriel. I never expected my sister to be his choice." Gethin turns away and sits down by his desk. His words sound honest, they sound sincere. But Hunter knows that a Ricells word can never be trusted. Dishonesty is woven in to the genetics.