Chapter XVII

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy

"Gethin Ricell." He raises his head, dark shadows hanging under his eyes, clearly visible in the bright morning light streaming in through the open window. A soft breeze whistles in and stirs his dark red locks. Grey eyes stare coldly at the one who spoke his full name. Dawn stirs, her arms stretching out above her before she opens her eyes. She blinks, once, twice, three times. Aware of the many new occupants in the room she quickly sorts out her skirts from where they had ridden up to her knees while she slept curled up on the chair.

Gethin does not move; neither his body nor his eyes. He waits, his mind whirring as he takes in the four warriors flanking his sister. Not one of them can look at him, their eyes going anywhere but. They are uncomfortable. They have not even looked at Gavriel because of Gethin sitting right beside him. A tinge of red guilt travels up one man's neck.

She clears her throat. "You are under arrest for the attempted murder of Gavriel Ricell." She says slowly, her voice hitching with nerves. Gethin takes his time in standing, stretching out his limbs before he does so. He tilts his head at her. She raises her chin, her lips trembling slightly. "You have two choices; come quietly or be forcibly removed from his side." Dawn's weary blue eyes widen considerably. Gethin rolls his shoulders then flexes his arm muscles.

"Does father know what you are doing?" He asks his voice controlled and calm.

"Of course he does." She replies, "I would never act without consulting him."

"What proof did you magically obtain to convince him of my guilt, little sister? A written confession perhaps? Are your forgery skills up to scratch?" He steps forward and the warriors step in front of his sister. He holds his hands up in mock surrender but the men do not move forward to secure his arms. They still wait for orders.

"There was no magic involved. Your guilt was confirmed when I spoke with a young maid who saw you repeatedly placing a clear liquid in Gavriel's drinks. She was not the only one."

"Who else confirms my guilt then, sister; surely you would not trust the word of a lowly maid who could easily have been paid." Gethin cracks his knuckles and the sound echoes through the room. Dawn, unnoticed, rises to her feet and crosses the room to Gavriel's side. She places her fingers below his jaw.

"A woman of honour and honesty saw you and she could not possibly have been paid to say so." Zara replies, more confident now. "How do you wish to precede, brother?"

Gethin looks over his shoulder and his eyes meet Dawn's. She nods slowly and then mouths, 'quietly'. His throat bobs. He looks back to his sister. "I will go quietly." She smiles sadly in reply. "But I would never poison my brother. I would never kill my brother. This is not my doing and neither is Jasiel."

"No one mentioned Jasiel." Zara muses before flicking her wrist. The four warriors step forward and flank Gethin as he strides from the room. Not one hand is placed on him as they lead him through the house and down into a special dungeon directly below the house. Gethin will get slightly better treatment than Logan ever did because of his last name.

Zara turns to leave but Dawn's call turns her back, "Do you not wish to ask if your last brother is still alive?" She asks harshly. Zara squeezes her eyes shut and shakes her head. She immediately goes to Gavriel's side. She touches his hand.

"I was too scared to ask." She quietly explains. "It is selfish of me but I wished for a little longer if my whole world was going to further be destroyed." She sits and drops her head into her hands. Dawn chews on her lip as guilt rises within her. She was too harsh on her friend. The last few hours have been so stressful for everyone.