Chapter IV

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The light comes again and he blinks for long seconds before his eyes can focus and he does not need to shy away from the light. He expects to see the guards back, every shift that changed they would come and look at the man who had supposedly killed Jasiel. Some would spit at him, curse at him, others would stare at him silently and Logan hated them most of all. Their eerie silence; that intense hatred that filled the quiet was unsettling. The last two had not been too long ago but maybe some of their friends had come down and wanted to sneer at him.

It made it very difficult for him to sleep. Even if he managed to sleep through the light they would shove it close to the bars and jeer loudly at him. It was near impossible to ignore that.

The footsteps are soft that bring the light. It could only be one other person. The girl with the blonde hair appears holding the fiery torch. She kneels down by the bars and shoves a plate under. "I am afraid it is just bread, but at least it is fresh." Logan stands and takes the plate, taking note of how she shrinks away from the bars when he gets closer. He steps back and sits, once again, against the wall. "Has anyone asked you if you actually killed him?" Her words are soft and unsure.

Logan replies, matching her volume, "Aileen did but she heard only the reply she wanted."

"Did you"?

"No."

"Do you know about different poisons, Logan?"

He lifts his head and stares at her. She shifts beneath his gaze. "I am at disadvantage, you know my name but I do not know yours." He pauses and she considers giving him a name, a false name. But he continues, "I feel like this may put me in a worse position, I am a healer and I know many poisons and antidotes." He watches as she cringes slightly. "Was there poison on the weapon that killed him?" Her eyes flick up and he sees the most peaceful blue he has ever encountered.

"Is there anyone you wish for me to send a letter?"

"You would do that for me? Why?"

"I believe you are innocent and I think you should have the choice to defend your life."

"Send a letter to my brother Wolfe of Usani, tell him Jasiel is dead and I am the accused murderer. Will you write to let the Iceni's know of his death?"

"The Ricell family are not on good terms with the Iceni's. Why would they let them know of his death?"

"Jasiel became friends with the youngest, Sparrow. She would want to know. She would want to attend his funeral."

Her eyes drop again and she nods slowly, "I will write a letter to both but hers will not arrive in time for her to be at his funeral."

"Thank you." She nods and rises. She walks away, taking the light with her. Logan presses his eyes closed and sleeps.

○ ○ ○

"Zara." The name slips from her mouth in surprise when she sees her. Today Zara has gotten dressed beautiful and her face is clear from sadness. Zara flicks her gaze her way before turning it back to the visitor. Dawn studies the tall and slim back covered in a white tailored shirt and sighs slightly. Zara shoots her a look when the sigh reaches her ears and he abruptly stops speaking. He turns and looks down on Dawn. With some annoyance he bows his head to her.

"Miss Dawn." He speaks as he returns to standing with his head held high. His dark brown eyes flit every now and again back to Zara, studying her features for some sign of her thoughts. Dawn is surprised that Zara has agreed to see him but perhaps she was ambushed and unable to break away.