Chapter XXV

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"I have been looking for you everywhere." His face is turned away from her, his gaze falling out of the window in the direction of Dawn's cottage. He shows no signs of having heard her. She steps further into the room, wondering if she should call out to him again or not. "Egan." His shoulders tighten under the fine blue cloth jacket he wears. "This is petty and childish. Are you really going to ignore me?"

No answer comes, not even in the form of a shrug. Zara resist the urge to stamp her feet.

"As you wish. I thought we could have this conversation as mature adults but now I can see that we cannot. Our engagement is terminated." Still he ignores her and her eyes flash. "I wish you a good day Egan." She spins on her heels, prepared to storm out of there.

His voice stops her and has her coming back. "You clearly did not look everywhere for me, do try not to exaggerate darling."

"Is that all you have to say? It is an expression and I did not expect you to take it so literally." She speaks with her hand on her hip, attitude peeling off of her in waves.

Egan rotates slowly and his dark brown eyes regard her with barely hidden contempt. "You accuse me of being petty and childish? Yet you are such a child in how you flit around and make your decisions. I once respected you. You turned me down when you were in mourning and that was the right decision, I respected it." He takes a step towards her, his long legs covering a fair amount of distance between them. "Then when Logan escaped you asked me to propose. I respected that you were ready to move on."

Zara lifts her chin, her mouth pressed tightly shut. He takes another stride closer to her. She has to raise her head further to continue looking him in the eye.

"Since then you have made foolish decision after foolish decision. I do not see why your father would choose you as his heir. Perhaps that is why we became engaged, he saw me as someone who could direct you."

"You are wrong." She says as calmly as she can. "I have done what has been necessary. I thought I needed someone by my side but you were the wrong choice."

Instead of her words offending him, they just seem to amuse him. He tilts his head to the side and gently brushes her cheek with his long slim fingers. "Now you believe that that man who you so vehemently refused to discuss is the right choice. A foolish childish idea." His fingers brush down to her throat and she quickly stumbles back a little way. His lips tweak up.

"I love him." She proclaims. "I never stopped."

"Sounds like you are still trying to convince yourself sweetheart." He uses the endearment as a weapon and she glares up at him. He closes the distance between them and leans down, his breath hot on her ear. She does not squirm. "I am giving you one last chance. Consider your next words very carefully love." He moves to her other ear and she fights to stay still. She will not let him intimidate her. "Who do you want by your side as Leader to Ricell? Me or Logan?"

He waits and she turns her head so she can whisper directly into his ear. "I want Logan." She emphasises each word, her eyes bright and focused. "We are over." A choked sound leaves her throat as he strikes as quick as a coiled snake and lifts her off the ground by her neck. She tries to scream but not much is able to leave her mouth. His eyes darken considerably. For the first time ever she is terrified of him. She never knew he was capable of this. She scratches at his hands.

"Wrong choice." He growls and throws her across the room. She hits her head on the wall and the room moves before her eyes. Two, or perhaps three, of a very angry Egan stride away from her. Relief fills her until she sees him pick up a vase. He weighs it in his hands. He looks mad, his black hair falling down over his enlarged pupils. His breathing is fast and uneven. She screams and the sound pierces through the air. He shakes his head and tuts as he strides towards her. He stops before he gets too close. He scoffs at her small figure curling up against the wall. Her head spins and she cannot tell which one he is. The other two look far too real. She squeezes her eyes shut. "Your pathetic little heart has ruined everything." He lifts up the vase.