2.

Majesty A. Collins

"Ford!" I called as I searched my apartment.

I've been home for five minutes and haven't seen him. Usually when I come through the door he's right there waiting for me. Today was different, and I had a bad feeling about it.

Searching my apartment, I felt my eyes burn with tears. My apartment is always locked up how could he have left? Sighing quietly, I smothered my face in the couch cushion. As soon as I felt myself dozing off my phone chimed loudly on the coffee table. I slid my phone unlock and stared at the message that appeared on my screen. It was just my dad checking on me. After telling him I was fine, I placed my phone back on the coffee table and attempted to take a nap.

Of course that didn't go as planned. I only napped for fifteen minutes until my phone dinged from an email from Ms. Bennet. She sent the outline of our research paper and reminded us when it's due. I made sure to email her back as soon as I got the email so I could be sure no one would pick the author I want. If I didn't get the author I wanted then I would be in a bad mood until October 28th.

I chose F. Scott Fitzgerald because he was my absolutely favorite author. His soul was released into his writing. His words can make one rethink their whole life. His work almost never ended as a happy ending, and that's something I admire about him. Happy endings aren't promised in life and he brought realization to that.

I settled on a bowl of cereal and fruit for dinner since my cooking isn't the best. I nearly burned my apartment down trying to bake chicken once. I forgot the chicken was in there while I took a long shower.

After finishing my dinner I sauntered to my bedroom, feeling a bit empty that my childhood friend is gone. He could be dead for all I know.

"Positive thinking Majesty." I reminded myself.

My eyes landed on the black leather jacket that was carelessly placed on the chair in the corner of my room. I chuckled just thinking about the embarrassing encounter that took place earlier today.

I would get out of bed and dig around the pockets to see if I could find anything that would help me learn something about the man, but I'm far too lazy and comfortable to get up.

A heavy breath escaped my lips as I examined the paper in front of me. I've been around several neighborhoods hanging lost dog papers. I still don't completely comprehend how Ford could've gone missing. My door remains locked at all times. Unless someone climbed the fire escape and lifted my window, but who would go through all of that trouble for a dog? How would the person know what window to choose?

New York people are weird though.

I decided to take the short cut back to my neighborhood, which included cutting through the hood. I kept my head straight ahead, avoiding eye contact with everyone I passed. I hate making eye contact with people who were begging for money. It made me feel bad although I knew they were just going to spend my hard earned money on drugs or alcohol.

Leafs crumbled under my feet as I sped up my pace. The sun was starting to set and I really didn't need to be out once night falls.

"Wassup mami?" A white man asked as he leaned against the brick wall of a liquor store.

I ignored him and minded my business. He needs to mind his business also.