47.

Majesty A. Turner

My eyes steadily followed each word of the fine print. Reading is like an out of body experience. You leave the real world and put yourself in this fictional world. Sometimes the fictional world is better than the real world. In my case, every fictional world is better than my world. My brain stayed glued to the book as I took a sip of my hot chocolate that was now cool, but not too cool.

I felt as if I were in the Côte d'Azur drinking tea during the spring time. Well, that's what the main character in this book is doing and I just happened to insert myself.

Being outside of the country seems like heaven at this moment. Being away from everyone and everything. If only I could get away from this ville mentality.

My eyes scanned the printed words, but my brain didn't comprehend a single word. The pictures and my 'anniversary' night took over my entire brain. It's now a few days before Valentine's Day. My New Years resolution kept creeping up, but I knew I would never go through with it. Why does resolutions even exist? If you want to change your life you'd do it at that very minute, not on the first day of a new year. A new year doesn't mean a brand new life. You'll still worry about the past. Rather people accept it or not, the past will forever be apart of us. But the way people handle it is different.

"Majesty." An excited voice whispered.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I looked up from my book. My eyes scanned around the practically empty library. It's nearly past ten at night, meaning the library should be closing soon. I continued to glance around the small area I was seated in until I focused on the short figure speed walking towards me with a bright smile.

I placed my book upside down on the table before standing up and hugging my old-favorite teacher. "Hi Ms. Bennet." I forced a soft smile on my face.

She smiled genuinely as she gave me a quick once over. "Still beautiful! How have you been?! I miss having you in my class."

"Thank you." I blushed. "I'm good. How are you? I miss being in your class, it was fun."

I honestly do miss going to school. No matter how much I hate school, I still love it. It's a love-hate relationship. It's hard work, but it takes people places they'd never imagine.

If I never dropped out who knows where I would be. I'd have a bachelors degree English and a minor in Philosophy.

Ms. Bennet and I took a seat at the table I was previously at before she found me. She expressed how she missed me, which made me feel disappointed in myself. How could I allow myself to end my education? Education was my life.

"I see you're still sporting that diamond." She smiled as her eyes squinted at the ring. Hesitantly, I removed my hands from the table and placed them in my lap. Her smile quickly washed away as she noticed the suddenly new aura. "Is everything alright? You know you can trust me, I'm all ears."

"I-I..." my eyes focused on the table, but I wasn't necessarily looking at the table. If I tell her, Alex could get in legal trouble. If I don't, I'll always be like this. I'll be exactly what Gina said: homeless, pregnant and broke. Scratching my arm, I then sighed deeply. "It's nothing."

Tears welled up in my eyes as Ms. Bennet asked me if I was sure. Of course I'm not sure. My entire future is ruined. Some jackass made me believe I was raped only to have multiple pictures of me naked. Who knows what he can do with those pictures! Then my husband, oh my husband... he's no better. I've somehow become immune to the emotional and mental abuse, but physical abuse is something I'm not used to considering he rarely does it. And when he does put his hands on me it's never that bad. But what can I say? I love him. Frustrated with myself, I roughly ran my fingers through my messy curls.