17.

My hand tightened around the strap of my bag as I pushed my way through the crowd of people. My eyes gazed at all of the signs as I tried to find my gate number. Once I did find it I found an empty row of seats by the window. I sat in one seat and put my bag on the seat next to me.

My eyes stared intently at my phone screen as I read a book titled Player on some app.

I'm sort of happy I found this book, I'll have something to read for the hour I'm on this plane. My eyes stayed glued to the screen as the book made me feel like I was there, experiencing all of the emotions the main character, Shay, felt.

"'Scuse me." A light voice spoke. "May I sit here?"

My eyes tore away from my phone and landed on the purple haired woman. A small smile was on her face as she looked down at me. I quickly moved my bag to my lap and returned the smile.

"How ironic to see you here."

"I know!" Tobi beamed with excitement. "You're flying to Rhode Island, or you're doing the connect flight to London?" As she mentioned London, I then realized she had a slight British accent. It wasn't too heavy since she did live here.

"Rhode Island." I replied. "You?"

"London." She smiled. "Visiting my parents, but I'll be back before Thanksgiving. That's the only American holiday I care for."

I joined in with her laughter, agreeing with her. This was the first time I've laughed since I saw the text I received Friday. However, that was two days ago.

"Hey.." I spoke up, earning her attention. "That night we met at that warehouse..." She nodded with furrowed eyebrows, keeping her eyes on mine. "What exactly is there? You asked if I-"

"You don't know?" She lowered her voice to a whisper. "How did you find the place if you don't know?"

"I-"

"This isn't something to talk about in public." She shook her head.

She then stood up as she realized the people with the early bird tickets were able to get in line. Tobi grabbed her things and hurried to the line without looking back at me.

Pursing my lips, I gathered my things so I could get ready to board after the early bird people.

After putting my carry on bag in the overhead I plopped down in the seat next to the window. I placed my earplugs in my ears and put my music on shuffle so I could continue to read Player.

A quiet groan left my lips as my feet trudged up the porch stairs of my childhood home. My duffle bag was tightly in my hand. I didn't bother to bring a suitcase since I'll be leaving Wednesday night.

This time I actually informed my teachers about my absence. They all decided not to assign me homework because of the reason I'm here. The reason I'm here isn't why my phone screen is slightly cracked though. That's another reason, that's just... complicated.

The crashing of the waves could be heard as I now stood in front of the door. My hand stopped before it could knock.

As soon as I knock, I'll be allowing my past to reenter my life. Stress just happens to be the last thing I need right now. Especially with finals coming up.

My fist hit the door three times, echoing inside the house. My heart pounded within my chest as footsteps could be heard in the house. I can't believe I actually came here. I haven't been here since I was sixteen, but here I am showing up out of the blue. She probably doesn't even know that I'm coming. I bet dad didn't tell her I'll be here. I'm only here for her, but she probably won't appreciate it.