12.

"Yes dad, I'm fine."

A quiet sigh escaped Majesty's lips as her father asked her the same question yet again. They've been on the phone for twenty three minutes and all she could think about is how she needs to finish the conclusion on her paper that's due in two days.

"I think you should call your mom." Her father finally spoke.

"I'm not good enough for her, remember.."

Now it was his turn to sigh.

Majesty played with the ends of her frizzy hair while waiting for her dad to reply. Talking to her mom is something she will probably never do again. Her mother disowned her because of her choice to be with a guy who was legal while she was still a young girl in high school.

None of it would've happened if she never pushed her daughter to be so 'perfect'. She'd never understand that though.

Majesty went to God and owned up to her sins. She asked him for forgiveness and he forgave her.

But her mom, oh she seems to think she's above God at times. Apologizing and asking for her forgiveness just isn't enough.

"She is your mother Majesty."  He stated with a bit of anger in his voice. "It's been almost six years since you've spoken to each other. That's no way to treat the woman who brought you into this world."

Once he realized Majesty wasn't going to reply, he spoke once again.

"The bible says respect your parents."

She let out a quiet chuckle and slammed her pencil down on the coffee table. "The bible also says do not provoke your child."

She ended the call before he could even get the chance to think about what to say next.

Standing up from the couch, she placed her phone on the couch before picking up random things off of the wall and tables. She began to throw the things across the room like crazy. Perhaps, she is crazy. At least that's what her mother believes.

The sound of glass shattering echoed throughout the small apartment as Majesty continued to destroy her items. Her dog, Ford, was woken by the ruckus and began to bark.

She stopped once she reached a picture that sat on her windowsill. The rays of the sun reflected off of the photo that was now in her brown hands. Majesty's eyes watered as she examined the picture in her hands.

It was the last picture she had taken with her grandmother before she passed away in her sleep. She died peacefully, although she was suffering from a long battle with breast cancer.

Majesty was an angel to her grandmother. Grandchildren are always angels to grandmothers.

Her grandmother always cared for Majesty when her parents couldn't. Before moving to Rhode Island, her parents could barley keep the two bedroom and one bathroom house they had in Denver. Majesty often stayed with her grandmother because the area she lived in was better. Now, her parents didn't live in the hood. The area sheltered many white families who weren't too fond of African Americans. This is why she found herself being made fun of in school.