Chapter 28

"Please! Just let me see her, I'm begging you!" Camila pleaded with every inch of her heart as Lauren's parents shook their heads in unison and proceeded to follow the doctor to Lauren's room.

"What's their problem, hunny?" The nurse stood in front of the door, that lead to the ward Lauren was on as she signalled to Lauren's parents.

"They're fucking homophobes." Camila huffed as she folded her arms over like an upset child. "Lauren is my girlfriend and her parents don't like me, of course."

"Oh, your name is Camila, right?" The nurse asked as she adjusted her candy floss coloured hair and Camila nodded to the question. "Well, the Jaureguis warned me about you and not to let you see Lauren."

"This not fair, I've been waiting here all day and I don't get see or hear if she is okay." Camila groaned as she pinched the bridge of her nose stressfully and felt her throat form a lump.

"Hey kiddo, how about when her parents leave, I let you in to see her since you're her 'best friend from school' and I didn't realise you were her girlfriend." The nurse smirked, shooting Camila a friendly wink as Camila's face lit up and her frown turned into a wide smile.

"You'd do that for me?" Camila asked in disbelief as the nurse nodded and smiled proudly because of her generous act.

"Yeah, they're really snobby parents." The nurse rolled her eyes. "Take a seat and I'll let you know when they have left."

Camila had to wait 3 more hours for Lauren's parents to leave and as soon as she seen them leave, Camila darted over to the nurse. The nurse led Camila to Lauren's private room and opened the door to the hospital room as the two girls entered. Camila's heart dropped as she saw Lauren's peacefully body laid down on the hospital bed.

An oxygen mask was placed on Lauren's mouth, keeping her breathing intact as Camila sat down on a chair next to the bed. Lauren's right leg was elevated and had a white cast wrapped around it, which meant she had broken the limb. She had bruises all over her face, arms and visible leg.

"The doctors report says..." the nurse paused, picking the clipboard off the foot of the bed. "She's has a mild brain injury, which has caused Lauren to fall into a coma."

"For how long?" Camila asked as she held Lauren's hand delicately and she felt the the tears trickle down her face absentmindedly.

"Honey... you can't predict how long a coma will be, it's whenever Lauren wakes up." The nurse flashed a sympathetic smile as she rubbed Camila's shoulder comfortingly and decided to give Camila some alone time with Lauren.

Camila pulled Lauren's hand up to her lips and kissed the back of her hand softly as she gave it a small squeeze. Her heart broke seeing Lauren like this, Camila cried uncontrollably as she wrapped Lauren's hand between her two palms and holding it for dear life. The tears trailed down her cheeks and dropping off the end of her chin as she started over Lauren's damaged body. She had so many conflicted feelings, she was mad at Lauren for drinking and driving even though she had warned the green eyed girls multiple times of what could happen. She was deeply upset that something like this has happened to Lauren and she also felt guilty, maybe if she had picked up the phone Lauren wouldn't be here.

"Lauren, you need to wake up." Camila said in a shaky tone. "Wake up for me, I can't live without you."

***

It had been five months since the incident and there was no signs yet of Lauren waking up any time soon. Camila visited everyday. The nurse and her had got into a routine, where the nurse would let Camila see Lauren and keep tabs on when Lauren's parents would arrive and leave. Luckily, for Camila, Lauren's parents only visited two times a week, since they were very busy with church. The nurse (who's name was Joy) and Camila had become great friends, considering they would see each other everyday and nurse Joy was Lauren's main carer.

Moreover, Camila would leave Lauren gifts, like flowers and items from home and whenever Lauren's parents asked who they were from, the nurse said Ally. Obviously, the nurse couldn't say they were from Camila and Ally was well aware of this scheme. The school year was coming to an end as there was only two and an half weeks left of school. After summer, Camila and Lauren will both be in their last year of high school.

Camila strolled into the hospital and greeted nurse joy with a polite smile as she entered the room. She placed down the school books, she had clenched in her arms, onto the table besides Lauren. She placed a gentle kiss on Lauren's forehead as she stepped over to the curtains and pulled them open, letting the light shine through.

Lauren's leg was healed and some bruises had faded, but she still had some deep stitches that scarred her body, from where pieces of glass had cut her. Regardless of the marks, Camila thought she was stunning.

Camila had snuck into Lauren's bedroom the other week and took a few music albums of her favourite bands, even though it was slightly illegal that she broke into Lauren's house. She had bought a CD player and would constantly play music for Lauren, even if Camila didn't like or know most of the songs.

With a face from a movie scene
Or magazine, you know what I mean
She's definitely got the style on you

She's got two-tone everything
Moving but she just can't move
She's got two phones, everything, you
Moving but she just can't move

Because "she way out"
I've never seen her dance moves - dancing like "she way out"
"She way out"
I've never seen her talk but I'm telling you "she way out"

Camila tapped her foot along in the beat of the music as she set up her school books and picked up pen boringly. She yawned tiredly as she flickered the pen between her fingers and glared down at her biology homework. She sighed heavily, glancing up at Lauren and smiling to herself as she doodled down an answer.

She said "It's not about your body it's just social implications are
Brought upon by this party that we're sitting in"
And "I'd like to say you've changed but you're always the same.
I've got a feeling that the marijuana's rotting your brain"

She's got two-tone everything - way too intelligent
Moving but she just can't move
She's got two phones, everything.
Boyfriend,
Telling him "Find me cause I'll never find you"

Because "she way out"
I've never seen her dance moves - dancing like "she way out"
"She way out"
I've never seen her talk but I'm telling you "she way out"

This was how the majority of her visits consisted off. Camila would do her work and put on Lauren's type of music, since people say it helps the person wake up. Sometimes, Camila would just sit back in silence and stare at Lauren, but that would result in Camila overthinking and becoming emotional. Other times, she would have a one sided conversations and just tell Lauren how her day was. Although, it would always end up with Camila telling Lauren how much she missed her and would begin to cry for a while.

"I love this song." Nurse joy danced into the room with her usual bright smile as she replaced the flowers in Lauren's vase and mimed along with the lyrics. "How you holding up, honey?"

"I'm fine." Camila lied as she flashed a half smile. "Yourself?"

"I'm good, but I know you're hurting, honey, you don't gotta lie." Nurse joy shot Camila a sympathetic smile as Camila just stared down at the ground awkwardly.

"I just miss her, I miss her so much." Camila frowned, gazing over Lauren's lifeless body as nurse joy patted Camila's back reassuringly.

"Don't loose hope, hun, Lauren will wake up." Nurse joy said optimistically as she squeezed Camila's shoulder comfortingly and Camila just sighed.

Hope, don't loose hope.