Chapter 40

Three months. Three whole months. A quarter of a year. That's along time to do nothing, even though nothing can be the most entertaining at times. Although, sitting in your bedroom, staring at the television screen with your hand in a bowl of chips every afternoon can get boring. You guessed it: summer. Summer is different for everyone. Perhaps if you're athletic, your weeks consists of various sports or if you're 'miss popular', your nights are filled with endless party invites whilst your days are filled with recovery and headaches. Maybe you're family-oriented and prefer to take these hot days to spend more time with your parents or siblings. Well, for Camila, it was spent being locked to her mattress and using the time to watch Netflix. She had began watching shows that she had no interest in because she had that much time on her hands. A shower was a stranger to her, food was only eaten if necessary and her friends became distant. It wasn't their fault though, everyday Dinah and Normani would text, call (or occasionally show up at her house) and try to pry Camila from her hibernation. Obviously, that never worked and Camila was left to rot under her smelly sheets. But that's what she wanted. She didn't want anyone to bother her, she didn't want to spend time with her friends or family, she didn't want to go outside and enjoy the sun; she wanted Lauren. She wanted to bathe in the sun with Lauren, she wanted to run along the beach holding Lauren's hand, she wanted to kiss Lauren in front of a beautiful sunset; not matter how cliché it sounded. All she wanted was the green eyed girl. There was no point of sulking because she was the one to reject Lauren, on many occasions. If Camila said yes, how would their relationship even work? Their new relationship? Through Skype and phone calls? What type of relationship would that be? Specially Camila would be paranoid that Lauren would snoop around with other people. Not that she didn't trust Lauren, it's just because of Ariana that she is more cautious of relationships.

It was like every other day of summer, Camila was in her pyjamas (she had been wearing the same pair for the past two weeks) eating some sort of oil-filled junk food and her eyes glued to her laptop screen. She glanced at the time and realised it was two o'clock in the afternoon but she hadn't noticed that as her thick curtains shielded any bits of sunlight attempting to shine through. Her duvet covered her whole body and laptop, that was balanced on her crossed legs, which created a blanket fort for the brunette to hide under.

Although, her blanket-made world was torn apart when her duvet was ripped from her body, leaving bare and exposed. The traitor: her mother. Sinu stood with a mean glare, glinting with complete infuriating pair of eyes whilst she folded her arms over so tightly as if to suppress more anger that was bubbling up. All Camila could do was awkwardly sit on her mattress with a guilty face. Over the majority of summer, Sinu had neglected Camila unintentionally because she had heaps of work to attend to and, with Camila's father away again, Sinu was struggling. She understood Camila was sad over Lauren but, unlike what Camila's father thought, she needed to get over her. She was only a high school crush, Sinu thought and repeated to Camila occasionally. Sinu snatched Camila's laptop, slammed it shut and placed it down on the desk. Camila hooked her arms around her knees and cuddled herself up.

"Camila, this has to stop." Sinu ordered with a stern tone as she marched around the room, ripping apart the curtains and blinding her daughter with the sunlight. "You smell awful, you look terrible and you've spent all day in here again!" Her mother continued, adding annoyed huff whilst her hands violently gestured around the room. "Go and get a shower this instances!"

Shamefully, Camila shuffled to the bathroom, ran the hot water and stripped herself from the over-worn pyjamas. Meanwhile, Sinu began tiding up Camila's bedroom which really looked like a bomb had gone off. She binned thousands of wrappers that were scattered around the room, put the bedsheets in the washing machine and sprayed the room with air freshener. As Camila exited the shower wrapped in a light blue towel, she dropped her jaw when she saw the sight of her perfect bedroom. The before and after were unrecognisable. She leisurely got dressed in a simple thin red sweater and black ripped jeans as she combed her hair, then allowed her thick locks to dry naturally. Once she strolled down the stairs, she saw her mother sipping from a mug and relaxingly reading a newspaper in the kitchen.

"Finally, this is the first time I've seen dressed." Sinu teased when catching sight of Camila in the doorframe of the the kitchen. "I want you to pick up the family car from repair shop." She began as she stood up, handing Camila a couple of dollar notes. "All you have to do is go to our car, pay the engineer and drive it home."

"But, I haven't drove in ages what if I crash-"

"Just do it, Camila!" Her mother ordered aggressively. "You need to get out of the house, okay?"

With a sigh escaping her lips, Camila nodded before stamping out of the house. Camila strolled to the repairs shop and was irritated at the fact she had to leave her bed. As she traveled down the pavement, she observed the front gardens of the rows of the houses. Nearly every other home had either children running around crazily on the fresh cut grass or adults sunbathing whilst listening to the radio. Everyone was enjoying summer; apart from her. Eventually, Camila reached the cars repair shop and timidly approaching the large open garage door. She noticed three vehicles mounted on car ramps at different levels. She spotted her family's vehicle and swiftly made her way to the front of car. Surprisingly, two pairs of legs stuck out from under the vehicle and the sound of random tools being moved around, hitting parts of the engine echoed around. The lower of half of this person was very attractive and Camila noticed herself checking out the pale legs in display from the denim shorts.

"Excuse me?" Camila politely said as the person slide from under the vehicle, quickly jumped to their feet without even acknowledging the brunette besides them and Camila's face dropped to the ground. "Lauren?"

Unbelievable. Yes, Camila was in disbelief. This must have been a dream for her. She pinched her arm discretely and that confirmed she was awake or maybe she dream pinched herself? What was real right now? Lauren turned to face Camila and her expression mirrored Camila's; shock. Lauren had a blue jumpsuit on however, as Camila could observe, Lauren had customised the garment to her satisfaction. By the scruffy cut, Camila could tell Lauren had sniped off the trousers to her mid thigh and the arms of the jumpsuit were tied around her waist. Underneath, Lauren wore a white vest top and her neck was bare, usually occupied by the necklace that was now around Camila's throat. Her skin was coated in sweat, clearly working hard in the extreme heat whilst her hands and clothes were covered in black soot and dirty oil from the car engines. Her raven coloured hair was tamed back into a bun with loose strands cascading down the side of her face.

"Wh-what are you do-doing here?" Lauren asked shyly, placing the spanner from her hand to her tool box besides her.

"I'm suppose to pick up this car." The brunette replied, gesturing to the vehicle without removing her eyes from Lauren. "What are you doing here, is the real question?"

"Ally got her uncle to give me a summer job here." Lauren explained. "I knew the basics of car engines from having my old truck but I'm a quick learner and they've taught me a lot here."

"That's great." Camila smiled. "So, is the car fixed and okay for me to take now?"

"Well, it was just a small blockage in the pipes so I've just taken them out, unblocked them and tightened them back which mean it should be oka-" Lauren stopped herself and thought for a brief moment. "urm... actually, you'll have to come back again tomorrow to collect it."

"Oh?" Camila responded with a perplexed look. "Right... I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sorry, I just have some more repairing to do to the vehicle." Lauren lied, flashing a small smile to convince Camila.

Eventually, Camila left after that sentence with her heart beating at ridiculous speed. She had mixed emotions at the moment. First, she was extremely excited and jolly for being able to see Lauren. After wasting half of her summer being bed bound because of that green eyed girl, it lifted her spirits to be able to see her again; no matter how much it would hurt in the long run. However, her chest was in pain when she seen how well Lauren was doing; it was good and bad. It was good for Lauren as her life was getting on very well but bad for Camila because - even if it was selfish - Lauren was doing okay without her. Lauren had or was moving on and doing a better job than Camila at it. So, as she exited the garage and walked back home with her head lowered, tears streaked down her face but she wore a small smile. Oh how she missed that girl.