Chapter 4 - Challenge

"Sean."

Jack was asleep on the sofa, his skull cracking through the sound of the voice echoing inside his head.

"You can feel it, cant you? The darkness."

"Stop ..." Jack begins to crawl into a ball a rock like boat at sea.

"Your mind is strong. If you're anything like your friend, you wont go down easy. I like a good challenge."

"No ..." Jack begins to shake uncontrollably. A wave a nausea hit, he felt like his stomach was a punching bag, and his head was in a bubble ready to burst.

"Oh Sean, when will you see, that nice guys always finish last."

BANG!

Jack's eyes shoot open, and he realized he was on the floor. He sits up and holds the bandage round his head. The pain was gone. It went as quickly as it had came.

The lights flash on. Footsteps grow louder from behind the sofa. It's Mark, wearing nothing but his boxers.

"Woah Jack, you alright?" Mark kneels down and help Jack to his feet.

"Yeah, it's nothing." He looks at Mark, a little dazed. "What time is it?"

"It's quarter to eight. We gotta go at ten. Good thing you woke up when you did!" Mark laughed and Jack cracked a smile, but his thoughts ran back to yesterday.

It had been just like today, but then Mark snapped and now Dark was inside of him. Who knows when he could go out of control again.

"Well, I'll leave you to get changed. Pancakes for breakfast?"

"Oh god, yes please!" Just like that, Jack was happy again, forgetting about that incident with Dark instantly.

Jack changed into his grey top with a green lining and a pair of jeans before making his way over to the bathroom. He removed his bandage, revealing a large cut above his eyebrow, so he brushed his hair to cover it up.

As he walked out, he was punched in the face with the smell of maple syrup. He turned the corner to see Mark sat on the sofa eating his stack of pancakes, and a plate full ready for Jack, arranged like a stairway to heaven. Bottles of maple syrup and chocolate sauce arranged on the table, ready to be used.

Jack sat down next to Mark and eyes up his food. "Thanks bro!" He tucked in, maple syrup and chocolate sauce all over the place. Such a simple time.