Chapter 18 - Motivation

Dark leaned against the wall of his room and looked at himself in the large mirror opposite him. He smiled, admiring his new form. Inky black eyes, pale grey skin and fanged teeth.

"Beautiful." He mumbled deeply. He closed his eyes for a second, thinking of all he had accomplished in the past few months. He had gotten inside his vessel, infected another man with his best friend, and best of all, he had manipulated Mark into accepting him. Their souls were now bound to each other. Mark's body now also belonged to Dark. Neither could live apart, but this was part of the plan. Dark chuckled deeply. All he had to do was wait for Anti to get to Sean's soul and ...

Thump!

Dark felt something pound hard against his chest. He cried out and clutched his flannel. It was like being punched in the ribs full force.

Thump!

Another one followed. Dark winced and squinted his eyes. He quickly began to limp across the room towards the mirror.

Thump! Thump!

Dark cried out again. It felt like his chest was on fire, all his ribs cracking one by one with each blow.

Thump! Thump!

He finally made it, smacking his free hand down on the desk, allowing him to catch his breath. Sweat dripped down from his forehead as he lifted his head, meeting his reflection in the mirror.

Thump! Thump!

He reeled back in shock. With every thump, his eyes pulsed from sickly black to a soft brown. Dark cried out and punched the mirror, shattering it to pieces.

"You're-still in there ... Aren't you Mark?" He sighed. Suddenly, his chest crackled with pain.

Thump thump thump thump!

It was so loud. It sounded like a large man running up a set of stairs. He cried as he felt something crawling from his chest and up his throat.

"I SAID I WAS GONNA MAKE YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU DID TO SEAN! LEAVE HIM OUT OF THIS!!!!!!" Mark's voice erupted from Dark's throat. Dark was thrown back onto the floor as he felt himself being punched in the chest one final time.

He lay still as he caught his breath and eventually hauled himself off the floor. He looked back at himself through the shattered glass.

"Damn you Fischbach ..."

***

"Wh-what?!" Stuttered Jack. Wilford continued to stare into his eyes, examining them closely.

"Repeat after me ..." Wilford began. "I am Anti."

Jack looked at him in shock, confusion sweeping over him. He said nothing and looked down at the cold hard floor beneath him. Wilford bent down and looked up at Jack's eyes, seemingly checking them, though to his surprise they had not changed.

"Hello?" Wilford called out, waving his hand over Jack's blank face. Jack still said nothing, hanging his head and closing his eyes.

"How's this thing work?" Wilford said, knocking his fist against Jack's forehead. Jack didn't flinch. He didn't dare to look back up. He didn't want to do anything he said. All he wanted was to find Mark. Wilford looked up at Scheeplestein.

"This bastard is stubborn. He needs more motivation."

Schneeplestein nodded, cranked a large dial on the front of the machine, and then proceeded to pull the lever once again, sending sparks and electricity through Jack's skull. Jack gritted his teeth, trying so hard not to cry out, but soon he gave in, letting out a high blood curdling scream. Blood trickled out of his ears and spilled down his arms to the floor. His eye snapped open, feeling them vibrate from inside their sockets. The pain died down and Jack allowed his head to hang again, taking in deep breaths as sweat dripped off his forehead.

"Now ... What is you're name?" Wilford asked.

"S-Sean ... W-William ... M-McLoughlin." Jack stuttered under his breath. "That's my name. Or ..." Jack looked up at Wilford with a sharp look in his eye. "You can call me Jack. And I'm not going anywhere without Mark."

Wilford took in a sharp breath and slapped Jack across the face again. Jack felt the burn on his cheek and winced. Wilford took a white cloth from his back pocket and wiped his hands.

"Forget it." He said faintly. Jack opened his eyes and looked back at Wilford. "Forget them all. You were never one of them. They never accepted you. But you can change that .... If you accept yourself." 

Wilford walked around to Jack's side. "Mark did the same." Jack's eyes widened and pricked with tears. "He found out who he was and accepted his fate. Dark is the real Mark. Mark was the in-poster. Just like you Sean."

Wilford snapped his fingers and a large mirror appeared in front of Jack in a cloud of pink smoke. Jack could now see his body, his eyes grew wide. His skin was deathly pale, his arms and side of his face were drenched in blood, and his septic eye glowed fiercely. He shook his head and sealed his eyes shut.

"This is who you are." Wilford said, placing a hand on Jack's shoulder. "Anti is who you are. Sean is your demon."