Chapter 21 - That Wasn't Me

Jack's eyes grew as he stared into those cool brown eyes he had longed to see. His skin was no longer grey, teeth no longer fanged and his eyes not a soulless black that oozed out of their sockets.

"M-Mark!" Jack cried, tears of happiness streaming down his red cheeks. Mark looked at him, scowling.

"Sean?" Mark asked, his voice no longer sounding deep and gritty. "You're still sane?!"

"I-I hope so ..." Sean sighed, taking a deep breath out as his tears dripped off his chin and spat onto the floor. Mark moved quickly and tore Jack's restraints off him, revealing his red bruised skin underneath them, showing red bands around his wrists and presumably his ankles which were lucky enough to be shielded by Jack's jeans. 

His neck was bruised the worst, with the red band from the restraint he had torn off during his last shock, and Scheeplestein's hand printed around it. Mark grabbed the metal helmet strapped to Jack's head and threw it across the room. His face was drenched in blood, either escaping from the cut on his forehead or his ears. 

Jack stepped forward quickly and hugged Mark tightly, allowing more tears to flow.

"I've missed you." Jack sobbed.

"I've missed you too buddy." Mark said, hugging Jack back even tighter. They stood there for a second, allowing them enough time to release their emotions, as Mark began to shed tears of his own. Eventually, they parted to air.

"Where have you been?! What happened?" Jack exclaimed, wiping the tears from his burning eyes. Mark dragged his palm down his face and then put in round his stomach.

"I-I felt so down. Like I had no reason to live, because ..." Mark paused, avoiding eye contact from Jack, staring off to the side of the room. "I felt like no matter what I did ... I just made people's lives worse when I got close to them ..."

"Mark, that's not true ... Why would you-?"

"LOOK AT WHAT I DID TO YOU!" Mark snapped. Jack took a quick step back and looked at Mark. Mark's breathing was rapid, his eyes drenched in tears as he looked at Jack and the state he was in. 

"Mark, I-"

"You were right you know." Mark interrupted, kicking the large metal helmet on the floor at his feet, watching it fly across the room and bounce against the wall.

"Right about what?" Jack asked, his voice shaky.

Mark's puffy red eyes looked back and met Jack's. "That it's all my fault." He sniffed.

"Mark, I've never said that to you ever! Why would you ever think that?!" Jack stated. Mark's fell, seemingly confused.

"Y-You told me when I was in jail ..." Mark stuttered.

"Wait - You were in JAIL?!" Jack cried. "What for?!"

"It doesn't matter." Mark said. "But while I was there, you appeared in front of me, twitching and your left eye was oozing." Jack lifted his hand and covered his eye, feeling the warm liquid touch his finger tips.

"You screamed at me about how I had done this to you, and how it was all my fault." Mark continued. "I-I felt so weak, I kinda just gave in to myself, and everything after that is just a blur."

"Mark, before you, or rather Dark showed up, I was in a small room tied up in a straight-jacket." Jack stated, observing Mark's shaky hands."That wasn't me."

Mark's legs turned to jelly and he felt a heaviness fall on top of him. He stumbled back and leaned against a wall, catching his breath.

"Bu-but who-?"

"Oh, I can answer that." Mark's eyes instantly rolled back into that inky black colour that sent a sharp chill up Jack's spine.

"D-Dark?!" Jack cried as Dark stood up straight and locked onto Jack's eyes.

"Did you enjoy his brief visit?" Dark said deeply, a twisted grin plastered across is face.

Jack clenched his fists and gritted his teeth together, feeling anger surge up from his hands to his legs as he charged head on at Dark, striking him in the center of his chest. Dark fell back against the wall and slid down as Jack pinned him down, burrowing his eyes into Dark's.

"BRING HIM BACK YOU FUCKING CU-!" Jack was thrown off by a strong force as Dark lifted his hand in a swift motion. He collided with the metal table and cried out in pain as the corner buried into his side, causing the table to swing round and crash to the floor, knocking over the table of operating equipment beside it, sending blades and other objects flying across the room. Dark cracked a smile as he watched Jack haul himself up, clutching a small knife in his hand that he had picked up off the floor.

"You ... YOU-!" Jack growled under his breath, holding the blade out in front of him towards Dark.

"I can give Mark back to you." Dark grinned, walking up to Jack. Jack's eyes widened as his arms fell limp and dropped to his side.

"H-How?" Jack asked, stuttering his words as he stood face to face with Dark.

Dark placed his cold hand on Jack's blood stained cheek and leaned in close, staring through his eyes.

"Let me see Anti."