Chapter 2 - Run

A deep, croaky voice that scared Jack half to death emanated from the kitchen. Something smashes, and Mark lets out a sudden cry of pain. 

Without hesitating, Jack runs in, only to find his best friend on his knees, clutching his chest so tight that his flannel shirt began to rip. His breathing is unnatural, heavy and deep, as if he was gasping for air.

Jack ran to his friend's side, holding him steady as his body began to shake uncontrollably, as if he was being shocked by ten thousand volts.

"Mark! What's wrong?" Jack calls out.

"J ... Jack." Mark's speech is slurred and faint, as if something was holding him back. "Run ..."

Mark pushed Jack away, he was so much stronger than Jack was, causing Jack to hit his head on the corner of the table. Blood trickled through his fingers as he covered his wound.

"No ... Jack ... I'm ..." Mark gasped, realising what he had done. Mark's eyes closed as he fell to the floor, leaving Jack in shock and terror.

"Mark!" Jack cried, tears spilling around Mark's lifeless body. He couldn't understand what was going on. Here lied the body of his best friend, who he had been talking to just a moment ago, and now this.

Mark's body gave a slight laugh as his mouth curved into a smile. He sat up, eyes no loner clenched, hands relaxed, breathing normal.

"M ... Mark?" Jack looked on at his friend, his hair messy and dark circles under his eyes.

His eyes shot open, a disgusting shade of black consumed the whites of his eyes, and his pupil pulsing blood red. His smile was menacing and revealed fanged teeth. This wasn't Mark.

"Ah, that's better." Sighed the figure who looked like Mark.

Jack scurried back towards the wall. "Who ... Who are you?"

The creature stood up, seeming to find it's balance quite quickly. "Allow me to introduce myself." He said giving a mock bow. "Dark, at your service."