Chapter 12 - It's Quiet

Mark groaned as he lifted his head off the floor. He felt as if he were carrying a load if heavy rocks in his skull, bashing his brain to black sludge.

Wait a minuet ...

Mark looked down at his hands, drenched in the black ooze.

Demon blood?

He felt his mouth and felt it dry to his lips.

Where am I?

He looked around, he was in the graveyard of the church, lying under the large tree that cast a shadow over the graves around him. He pulled himself up and looked back at the church. His mind suddenly clicked and he ran through the double doors.

Blood smeared all over the walls, trickling down to the floor. Chairs upturned and books torn to shreds scattered across the room. The giant cross that overhang the alter had been turned upside down and was stained with black demon blood.

Mark ran down the isle and down the corridor towards the exorcism room. The door was hanging off its hinges, black scorch marks surrounding it. He edged his way inside.

A man hangs from the ceiling, his robe around his neck suspends him in the air and a wooden cross pierced through his stomach.

Mark's eyes widen and he stumbles into the door, falling back onto the blood splattered floor.

The man's body turns to him, swaying, swinging, eying down Mark's every move. His cold dead eyes fixed on his as he began to swing towards Mark.

Mark jumps up and runs out of the church. Dark did that to the Priest, he knew that for sure. But what happened back there? The thought of it sent a chill down Mark's spine, as a hush fell over the area.

Wait ... It's quiet ... Where's Jack???

Mark's face turned pale as he turned around. While all this was going on, what had happened to Jack?

"Jack!?!" He yelled, cupping his hands round his mouth. Nothing.

"SEAN!?!" Mark screamed, causing birds to erupt from the branched of a nearby tree, scaring him half to death. No reply, no Irish shouting. Just silence.

Mark reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out his phone. His fingers trembling as he scrolls through his contacts and finally comes across Jack. Taking a sharp breath in, he tape the call button and holds the phone to his ear.

It's ringing. Thank God! The ringing echos through Mark's head as he waited with held breath. The ringing stopped, and breathing flowed down the other end of the phone.

"Sean! Oh, thank god! Where are you?" Mark cried. A high pitched giggle screeched into his ears.

"Oh, he's not here at the moment. But I am." Said the voice at the end of the line. It was Jack's, but it was higher and sounded like it was on auto tune.

"Where's Sean? Who are you?" Mark stuttered.

"The name's Anti, I'm a friend of Dark's."

Mark's eyes grew in size and he felt sick to his stomach. It wasn't over.

"You bastard! Where's Sean?!" Mark screamed. He heard whining and growling on the other end of the line.

"Mark!!!" Jack screamed, but was cut off by a high-pitched laughter.

"Sean! What's going on?!?" Mark cried.

There was a slight pause, before a cold whisper replied. "Say goodbye."

The call ended. Mark's eyes filled with tears, but he wasn't sad. He was enraged. It was clear that the exorcism had failed, and now  Jack had been taken over.

Mark clenched his fists and bared his teeth.

"They're gonna pay!"