What Have You Been Doing?

I tap on Dan's door, and there's no answer.
He seems to be this way all the time now.

He's passive-aggressive. He yells. He's always mad. But he goes back to normal when he goes to sleep. But in the morning is a whole different story.

He stomps out of his room, seeming a bit less mad than usual. He grabs his keys and mumbles "I'm going out. I'll be back in like an hour."
I nod, and he almost rushes out the door.
I don't know how in that past week, our relationship has turned into this.
Had I done something he didn't like?

I continue the thought as I go into my room to do whatever.
It's been about 40 minutes when I decide to go back into the lounge.

I notice something on the table. Dan's phone.

I could look in it to see why he's been mad. Or who he's been texting.
But could I do that? He might have realized it's not in his pocket and is coming back for it.
But for what ever reason he's out, why would he come all the way back here for it?..

I lift my hand, but hesitate when I realize he could come in any second and catch me with his phone.

But I know his password and I could do anything!
But I'm not going to be that type of person.
The nerve picks at me for a while.

-

Dan walks in, and he quickly grabs his phone in the table in front of me. He glares at me and says, "What have you been doing?" His voice gets dark, and his eyes are almost a shade of black.

I look up at him. "Nothing."
It was hard to read his expression.
Was he mad?

He reaches into his pocket, and I flinch.
I close my eyes tightly.
I feel something hard touch my arm and Dan whispers, "Open your eyes, Phil."

I slowly began to open them, and look up at him.
He shows me a candy bar and waves it in front of my face. He smiles for the first time in a week.

I smile back at him and pull him onto me.
Desperate for his affection, I hold him tight and we stay there for a while,

When his phone vibrates,

Again.