Chapter Thirty Nine

"Honestly that math final was probably what hell is like." I complain, setting my plate of food in front of me on the table.

Charlotte laughs and bites into her sandwich. "I think I did okay on the paper for English, but it was timed so I was nervous and felt rushed." She explains mid bite, so it sounded all jumbled.

Luckily, math was the last final I had to take before the 3 week long winter break. Even though I just got back from a short vacation, I'm glad to be done with school and finally get time to spend with friends.

Louis, Charlotte and I plan on leaving for our road trip after Louis' theatre final later this afternoon. He made us listen to his monologue almost ten times before feeling okay with it.

"So what exactly did you have planned Addie? You never really told me." The blonde asks, sipping her drink with raised eyebrows.

I tuck my hair behind my ear and pull out the notes application on my phone, looking at the destinations I have planned for my friends and I.

Today we'll head toward Manchester, which will take almost four hours, but Louis has been wanting to go there so I thought I'd surprise him by doing that. If we get there at the time I hope then we can go down to a club in the city.

"Do you think Louis would be okay in a club? Considering all that happened, I wouldn't want to push him so soon." I ask Charlotte, my thoughts running free, distracting me from her question.

She pushes her eyebrows together and I take a bite of my burger. "I feel like Louis is strong enough to know not to touch the alcohol again, but I would ask him just in case to be respectful." She tells me and I nod, agreeing with her before telling her the plans for the 4 day trip.

It's not much, but I feel like it's long enough to get away from the first semester of college and everything that happened in the four short months.

"Oh great." Charlotte rolls her eyes and I turn to look at what her eyes are focused on.

Mackenzie's arms are wrapped around a tall blonde's, her skinny body placed on his lap.

"She moves on quick." I say, turning away from the scene. I can't stand to look at her after everything's she's done to me and Harry. It was selfish and cruel, but she got what she wanted.

Charlotte stands to throw her trash away and I follow behind her, "I heard she's not coming back next semester, and that she's moving to Los Angeles."

I raise my eyebrows and shake my head. "Good, the farther she is away from me, the better." I spit as I grab my backpack off the seat next to mine.

We pass a few soccer players and they smile down at the two of us. I smile back politely as we leave the mess hall and out into the cold air.

"Hey, wait."

I turn around, holding the door open for the tall brunette clad in a red jersey.

"It's Addie right?" He asks, and I nod looking up at him. He looks down at me with bright blue eyes, a few freckles sprinkling across his nose.

"I'm Lincoln, I've seen you around campus but I've never gotten the chance to talk to you. I just wanted to let you know that you're beautiful."

Charlotte inhales loudly, and I know my face is the color of his jersey right now. I don't know what to say, I'm at a loss for words by the stranger.

"I know this is probably coming off as really weird, but when you smiled back at me I knew I had to take my chance." Lincoln tells me, clearly nervous by the way he's rushing his words.

I let out a small laugh and lean against the door, "no it's not weird at all, it's super sweet of you to take the time and say something to me."

He smiles down at me and I can't help but notice how his front tooth overlaps the other in the cutest way. He places his phone in my hands and I slowly put my number in.

"I'm American so it might cost extra to text me." I say, instantly regretting it. What the hell Addie why did you say that? I scold myself, pushing my eyebrows together subconsciously.

Lincoln laughs, pushing his tongue through his teeth. "It'll be worth it. I'll see you around, Addie."

As soon as the door shuts, Charlotte turns to me with wide eyes and lets out a soft squeal.

"He is so hot! And he plays football! You guys would have such cute babies." She rambles and I laugh, stopping her. "We're not having babies, Char. But yeah, he's cute." I reply simply.

She sighs and nudges my shoulder. "You should give him a shot, it won't hurt to try."

I shrug and she knows the thoughts running through my mind.

"If it's meant to be, it will be."

I laugh at her attempt on being poetic."Okay Walt Whitman."

I pull my coat tight around my arms as the wind picks up, shivering audibly.

It wouldn't hurt to give Lincoln a chance, but then again he's not Harry. I love him too much to let that go because no matter what happened there's always going to be a glimmer of hope that something could work out between us again. As much as I try and forget about him, I can't. Every night my mind replays him leaving my room, slamming the door behind him and not looking back. I want to check on how he's doing, but after what I did, I'm probably the last person he wants to hear from right now.

And almost on cue my phone vibrates in my hands, making my heart stop. I look down at my phone hopeful, but my face falls when I look on the screen.

New Message from Unknown: Hey Beautiful

------

Hey guys!! So I'm back from a super long break of writing and I really don't have an excuse for why it took me so long to update. I hope this makes up for it and be expecting consistent updated in the future!! It feels good to be back, I love you all!

xoxox, Amelia