Chapter Two: Coming to Collect

{Nico}

Being the son of a Mafia leader doesn't leave much room for a 'normal' life.

I was currently in the alleyway beating up some losers from a lower class gang who thought that they could beat me. One guy even went as far to bring a knife to a fist fight. I hate people who play dirty. Kind of ironic, though I never play stupid tricks. It wasn't necessary with my skill level. The punks thought that if I was alone I would be easy prey.

Idiots.

Honestly, when will they ever learn? I may be the youngest son but I'm still going to the the boss after my father. Course, I know why they'd want to go after me.

I have enemies. I'm not exactly the most liked person. Some guys hate the fact that I'll be the next head of the family. They think my brother should take up the 'crown'. He's three years older than me and a complete disappointment to my father. Most members of the family like him because he's a softie and much kinder than I, on the outside. Unlike me, Eli doesn't have the ability to kill if needed. My father sees that he can't run the family with such a weak state of heart and mind. Though, he plays dirty and is a complete cheat. He wants to be the new head of the family for his own gain. Not for the family as a whole. Everyone thinks he's much kinder but it's all a façade.

Others hate me because they think I'm too harsh. They're afraid of what they can't understand.

Monster

The very name I got for killing some guy who was trying to kidnap a kid from the playground. I was only eight when I killed him. Meanwhile, Eli ran away.

I saw them lurking around the playground a few times before that day. They tried luring a girl away with a puppy. I approached and told them to go away. My brother ran off in search for our father. The man thought that because I was younger and smaller than them they could step all over me. I got kicked. I always carried, and still carry, weapons with me. I stabbed his leg and twisted it before I pulled away so he crouched down in pain. The next place I stabbed was his artery in his neck. He bled out and his eyeballs went inside his head as he fell lifeless to the floor.

I was covered in blood and the little girl I saved ran away in horror. Father ran over with Eli following close behind. He slapped me leaving me stunned in my spot. I didn't understand what I had done wrong.

He crouched down and told me that I had no business saving that little girl. He said that I'm a person of higher standing ground than most. That I had to think about my consequences. However, as he carried me away he told me how proud of me he was for killing my first victim at a young age.

Days after that I was in the newspaper and my face was everywhere. Father had to wipe out the newspaper company and 'taught a lesson' to the person who let my name slip along with my picture in the media. Damage had been done but no one talked about it after the newspaper company went out of business. Everyone suspected that some powerful people were  involved.

They were right.

"Nico. Stop it. You're wasting your time on monkeys."

I stopped mid punch. The guy was slumped against the wall as I held him up. He was still breathing, slightly. He groaned as I let go of his collar. He slid down to the floor. I turned around and smiled at my best friend.

Seraphina, one of the most bad ass girls in our group. She's been with us since she was 12. Having her around was always as normal as breathing. I look up to her like an older sister. She's two years older than me. She was wearing leather and had her red hair up in a pony tail. Her hair was really short, when it was down it would be at her shoulders. Her hair wasn't naturally red. She was wearing a tight black shirt and leather pants. She's the kind of girl that is very comfortable with her body. She gets called a lot of nasty things but she never lets it get to her.