Chapter Thirty-Two: Ending Confrontation

{Nico}

My leg was shaking nervously as we got closer towards the ocean by car. I had made Sera drive since I didn't trust myself not to ram straight into the boat like an idiot. Dylan, Erin, Jeffrey, and Wayne stayed back at the detectives office taking care of Lion's son. Sera had told us afterwards that Eli was at the docks. Frederik and Junky were both headed towards the lighthouse nearby so that they could get a good look of us and Junky also took a gun with him just in case I needed backup. He promised he could still get a clean shot without killing Eli even if the winds were picking up. I wasn't sure if I trusted him to shoot a bullet in my general direction but Lion assured me it was fine. Lion and Tea would get there a bit later since they had to go talk to the F.B.I. captain in person and explain the plan. They would arrive with the F.B.I. backup and then they would ensure Eli arrived at prison without any problems. My job was to go in and make sure Max and Mikhail were safe and to try to distract Elisha long enough for Tea and Lion to get there.

Sera didn't know where they were as we talked about our plan without her in the room but she wasn't stupid. She knew that they were still around us keeping an eye out. We were both alone, technically, in the car together. I say technically because all the detectives could hear me because they had lent me an earpiece and vice versa. It was quiet on their end so I figured they were staying silent unless absolutely necessary or they turned off their speaker so their voices wouldn't mess up my train of thought. With that in mind I still was careful about what I said as I was being listened to.

"You know that Eli is only using you, right?" I spoke up and looked at Sera's side profile as she was driving.

"You don't know anything, Nico." Sera said with a blank facial expression.

I scoffed and looked out the window instead. There was no use trying to make Sera see Eli for who he really was now. He had completely won her over. "You're right. I obviously didn't know that you were working for Eli. I didn't know you were feeding him information about everyone. I sure as hell didn't know you were going to kidnap Dan, Max, and Mikhail. Well, perhaps it better to say I didn't want to believe it. I always had that gut feeling telling me something wasn't right about you but I didn't listen to it. You want to know why, Sera? That's because you're family. I thought you would have stayed by my side-"

"Oh? Like you stayed by mine?" Sera interrupted with an angry tone. I glared over at her and noticed that her grip tightened on the steering wheel. "You and I promised to marry, Nico. I thought you would have chosen me over someone like Mikhail."

"When we were kids, Sera. I agreed along to it as we grew older because it was something both you and my father..." I hesitated for a bit feeling my chest get tighter as I remembered my father's death. "wanted." I finished hoping my pause wasn't long enough for Sera to notice. I wasn't even sure if she was aware that my father had died. Knowing Eli, he would have kept her in the dark. "You two decided for me and me being the obedient child I was, I wanted to make my father proud and do as he wished. It was never something I wanted for myself. Marrying you when I only ever saw you like my sister-"

"That's why I chose Elisha in the end. He loved me from the beginning but I was blinded by you." She interrupted me with a raised voice.

"By me?!" I asked in disbelief ready to have a screaming match if necessary, "Your mind has been poisoned by his lies, Sera. How can you not see that? Having a marriage with me when neither you or I loved each other romantically was never going to fill the hole in your heart. Bearing my children wouldn't ever satisfy you. You know that better than I do. You don't need someone like Eli either who beats you into submission and orders you around to be happy with your life."

"You don't know that."

"I do." I insisted, "What you need is someone like Dan to keep you on the ground when you feel like your head is floating. Of course, Eli saw that and made you fuck everything up with her. The sad part, maybe good for you, is that Dan might still forgive you after this is all done and over with."