Chapter Nineteen: The Truth

{Nico}

It was Christmas Day and my whole schedule was packed for the day. It was slightly irritating. Okay, well, maybe I could have dropped a few things from my to-do list but I didn't want to leave anything for later when it could end up being too late. I needed to get stupid, idiotic Max to the house Doctor, I had to question our new driver, again, and I wanted to go talk with George.

I couldn't drop my gut feeling that was telling me George leaving suddenly wasn't a coincidence. He's around fifty but still has a lot of spirit in him. He's been with us as the driver since before I came to live with my father. George was the one that taught me about things of life and responsibility. He helped me to balance the two without losing my self. He really was the only person I talk to after Eli avoided me and before Max or Sera came to live with me.

I glanced over to Max who was slumped in his seat with his eyes closed tightly. I would be lying if I said I wasn't mad at him. I definitely was. He had a bad habit of thinking he had to fix everything on his own despite telling him countless times that I would help him with whatever he got himself into. Max had both of his arms laced over his stomach. It was noticeable that even the car moving was hurting him. In all honesty, I was glad that he was in pain. That way I wouldn't feel the need to punch him later for not explaining the situation sooner.

"Sera. Were you able to get into contact with George?" I asked as I looked out the window. The show wasn't falling anymore so I was hoping all the snow would melt quickly. So much soft, white snow in one place was sickening.

"Well, I called him but he seemed in a rush. Either that or like he was trying to hang up the phone quickly." She told me as she was focused on her phone completely as she usually was.

"He's probably enjoying his retired freedom. Let the man-" Max hissed in pain as the car went over a speed bump and continued, "live in peace. He's probably gambling."

"George doesn't gamble, idiot. The injured shouldn't talk."

"You sound like Dylan."

I turned to look at Max with a piercing gaze. Although he wasn't looking at me I could tell he sensed my stare. He shifted his body carefully to face the car door as to protect himself. "You're lucky someone already beat you senseless. Say something like that again and I promise I'll punch your nose in."

Max ignored my comment and pretended to be asleep. Even throwing in a fake snore. Sera in the front seat laughed and said, "You wouldn't beat him. Stop lying to yourself. One sad look from Max and you'd immediately forgive him."

I scoffed a smile lightly and shrugged, "Yeah. Probably." I agreed, "However, it works as a nice threat."

"If you threaten him too often, he won't fall for it anymore."

"No way. It's me delivering the threat we're talking about."

"I suppose. You do have an ugly face after all." She said with a smirk as she turned around slightly to look at me. "It's no wonder you didn't dress up for Halloween this year. So scary~" Sera taunted.

"Oh, ha. Funny." I replied dry and scrunched up my nose, "I'll have you know that I did dress up. I dressed up as a member of the Mafia. Just like I did last year and the year before that."

"And the year before that one, and three years before that one."

"And every year before that." Max said waking up from his 'sleep' to poke fun at me and then snored loudly as he pretended to fall asleep once more.

"I hate you all." I said rolling my eyes.

"You don't but whatever helps you sleep at night." Sera said turning back around to sit correctly in her seat.