Chapter Twenty: Define The Relationship

{Nico}

Eli.
Mikhail's safety.
Max's uncle.
Sera's possible betrayal
Recent murders.
F.B.I. Involvement.
Private investigators.

They weren't in any specific order but they were all the current topics circling round in my mind. Yesterday I had spent almost the entire day at George's house talking with Frederik and Junky on how we would get proof that Eli was behind all the Mafia murders.

I went home in the afternoon to get ready for the Christmas party Naomi forced my father to throw every year for her. It was a completely pointless party but she just wanted an excuse to dress up in the most expensive jewelry and clothes so she could show off. I had spent most of the party with Max in his room since the party wasn't anything that would improve my image with potential business partners. I let Sera handle everyone who wanted to talk to me. It was all going to be some kind of bullshit offer or marriage proposal after all. Nothing I was even remotely interested in.

Junky gave me several numbers to contact yesterday before I left George's house. He gave me his cell phone number, Frederik's, and also the number to their office. Before I could could strongly oppose, he said that I didn't need to ever call them but they were more for their peace of mind than mine. That, by me having those numbers, we would have a 'stronger' opportunity of catching Eli red handed. Since I didn't feel like arguing I just took the numbers and slipped the paper into my pocket.

I was laying down on my bed in deep thought. I wondered if this was the right way to do things. Working behind the scenes with some private investigators that are currently contracted by the F.B.I., It didn't seem like they would turn on me at first but I was certain that if the F.B.I. told them to check up on our activity, they would. It's not like they had any reason to protect the Delacroix name. They didn't owe us anything. I was in a tough situation but I was going to have to stand by my decision a hundred percent on this one. I didn't have time to feel regret.

I sighed out loud and then sat up. I looked towards my jacket that was on the floor. I bit my lip softly and stood up reluctantly. I grabbed the jacket off the floor and took out the slip of paper with the phone numbers on it. I grabbed my phone and sat back on the bed. I began transferring the numbers onto my phone. It didn't hurt to have a bit of reinforcements just a phone call away. I wasn't confident enough to deal with Eli by myself.

With the numbers all safely inside my phone as Junky, Winter, and I disguised the Private Investigator's office number as Peter Inoue just to be safe. The last thing I needed was anyone in the Mafia finding out that I was in contact with these people. I often used code names for half the people inside my phone anyways. Honestly, it was a risk for me to even have their numbers but I knew it would help me later to have them saved.

My phone buzzed and made me jump slightly. I calmed down and checked my phone. It was a message from Mikhail asking if I was still meeting him. I sent a message back and said that I was on my way.

I stood up and stuffed my phone into my pocket. I grabbed a different jacket and put it on. I held on to the paper with the phone numbers and walked over to the sink with my lighter in the other hand. Holding onto the corner of the paper, I turned on the lighter and burned it. I watched as the flames left no evidence of the numbers. I turned on the water and let the ashes fall into the drains. I couldn't afford for those to get into the wrong hands. Stuffing my lighter into my pocket I looked up and checked my hair in the reflection. I nodded once and headed out to check on Max before I left.