Chapter Twelve: Zechna

{Nico}

I walked down the hall way and towards my father's office. One of our maids told me that he wanted to see me immediately. Every possible thing I had done wrong in the past day or so ran through my mind. I licked my lips nervously and knocked on his door.

"Come in." I heard faintly on the other side.

I inhaled deeply and opened the door. I stood still for half a second in shock when I saw my brother sitting there with a wide grin on his face. I closed the door behind me and sat beside Eli and across from my father. "What's this about?" I asked trying my best to ignore Eli completely.

"A couple of Young Turks are causing trouble."

"Meaning?" I asked.

Father pushed his elbows off of his desk and leaned back in his chair. His pale skin from his sickness seemed to glow in the setting sun. "I've gotten word that a group known as 'Zechna' is out kidnapping people from the Mafia. The families with actual power. Mainly, the bosses children."

"What?" I asked completely baffled.  That was the first time I was hearing that some unknown group was going around kidnapping the Mafia families. "ransom?"

Father shook his head, "It wouldn't be as much of a problem if it was just about money. This group is actually torturing and eventually killing them. They make no effort to contact the family."

"Do they have a purpose?" Eli asked.

Father shook his head slightly and then shrugged, "We aren't too sure. Damned bastards actually know how to stay hidden when they want to. The body gets shipped to the family home. It ain't too pretty."

"Why weren't we informed sooner?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows slightly. I figured that since our lives were possibly in danger we would have been told sooner rather than later but then again I should have expected finding out way later. The older generation Mafia always did everything by their books. They always kept everything to themselves like selfish old men.

He sighed rather loudly to show his annoyance and answered, "It was better not to cause panic between the different groups and their families. Even the fat pigs are keeping this information between a select few." He said referring to the cops. "Zechna has been targeting the lower families for now but it seems they've been moving up the scale. Seems they have a rat on the inside. I'm informing you two now so that you'll be careful not to get kidnapped by this trash that is polluting our city. I'm sure you two are aware that you'll only be degrading the family name if you actually get captured. I will not stand for someone coming for my power. You do understand I'm sure?"

I understood more than clear what father was trying to say. If Eli or I were to get kidnapped, fathers reputation would plunder. We're one of the top three families and are expected to lead through example. Getting kidnapped would show the rest of the families that Delacroix is no longer a name to be respected. Getting killed would show that Delacroix is weak and then the estate would be dyed a dark red with the blood of many different people as they all fight for the property. In short, father would lose his power and we would potentially lose our lives for something that could have been easily avoided.

I rubbed the back of my neck catching a glance of Eli from the corner of my eye. He looked completely relaxed. Almost like he was already expecting the news. I looked back at our father and asked, "Is it known where the group operates?"

"There have been several different locations where they've held captives but my connections mentioned that a possible hideout of theirs could be at the University Elisha attends."