Chapter Thirteen: I'm not brOKen

{Max}

Wuh-Pssh!

Ting! Ting! Ting!

Wuh-Pssh! Thwap! Wuh-Pssh!

"I'm sorry! I swear it wasn't me! Please! I have a family!

"How many times have I heard that same line over and over? Don't answer. I'll tell you. One hundred and forty times. Forty-one with you.

Ting!

Chh-Chh-Chh

"You have to believe me, Nico! I'm not the rat! I would never sell the Delacroix out!"

"Again. I hear that all the time."

"Please! I swear! I'll do anything to prove my loyalty!"

The sounds of a grown man sobbing and begging were usually something Max took satisfaction in but today he wasn't interested. The cries just seemed to annoy Max more than usual. Nico's phone in his hands kept ringing from Mikhail constantly texting his number. It wasn't helping that Sera was filing her nails right next to Max.

Chh-Chh-Chh-

Ting!

"Can you stop that?" He asked glaring at Sera.

Sera stopped momentarily and rose her eyebrows curiously at Max, "What crawled up your ass and died this morning? You're in a worse mood than usual."

"None of your business." He answered back rudely. He didn't think that she needed to know what was irritating him. He hardly trusted her to be alone with Nico. He wouldn't just go ahead and spill his thoughts to her like a friend would. She rolled her eyes and went back to filing her nails.

Nico was currently inside the room taking care of a recent rat that had, reportedly, been selling Delacroix information to outsiders. If Max recalled correctly, the man was a mid-forties information broker that Victor had brought into the family around three years ago. Max never talked to the guy but he doubted that he really had a family waiting for him at home. The guy had broken teeth and was already losing his hair. He also had bad breath and a beer gut growing. Max wouldn't sleep with that guy even if he offered three million dollars. No matter how badly he needed the money.

"I'm sick of your sorry ass excuses." Max heard Nico's voice on the other side.

"No! No! Don't! I'm begging you!"

Max wished he could run away before Nico pulled he trigger. Even from the other side of the door he disliked hearing the moment the bullet was shot out of the gun and into the persons skull. He hated hearing the sound of the body falling on the ground lifeless. It brought back memories he worked so hard to get rid of.

Bang! Thud!

Silence.

The sound of the door knob moving got Max and Sera off of the wall. They waited patiently as Nico stepped out and threw his gloves inside the room. Max could see blood on his gloves and inside the room on the floor. The room was dark except a single lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. He saw the dark red liquid stain the ground in the form of a large flowing puddle.

"Clean everything up and dispose of the body." Nico demanded as the workers quickly went inside with masks and latex gloves. He had a grim expression on his face. Max was aware that Nico despised killing without proper proof of their betrayal, but Victor had ordered for the broker's death immediately. Max handed Nico's phone back to him. As soon as Nico had his phone back in his hands, his face lit up. He was amazed that a simple text from Mikhail was all Nico needed to be okay.