Chapter Sixteen: Blood Does Not Equal Family.

{Max}

Max had grown accustomed to drinking from a young age. He knew to take precaution so that he wouldn't wake up with a nasty hangover. The last thing he wanted was a skull thumping headache and Dylan's voice ringing in his ears, making it worse.

Max was sprawled out on the couch playing a game on his phone. Everyone had all passed out on Dan's living room last night. Dan and Max had taken the two available couches. Of course, Max took the longer one. He wasn't about to sleep on the tiny two seater when he could have the four seater all to himself. Max even had to argue and pull Dan off of the couch he wanted. Thankfully, it was a simple task to do with a very drunk Dan. Meanwhile, everyone else slept on the floor.

Max could hear Dylan and Dan talking in the kitchen. They were getting breakfast ready. Mikhail had gone to the bathroom and Nico followed like the perverted stalker Max believed him to be. Sera and Max sat in the living room, not even attempting to make conversation. They usually didn't talk to one another unless Nico was in the room or they had some kind of important Mafia business to discuss. Even then, the conversation between them was short and to the point. Their only connection to each other was Nico after all.

Max didn't see the point in getting along with anyone else other than Nico. People lied and betrayed each other like it was all a game. His trust in others died out when his own uncle chose money over him. Nico was his saving grace and the only person he could rely on fully, knowing that he would never get stabbed in the back by him. Everyone else was just a stepping stone to him to reach his goal.

"-ey, you're spacing out too much." Max flinched his head back realizing that Dylan's head was way too close. Dylan was leaning over the couch, looking down at him. "You're so young and already have so many wrinkles from frowning all the time." He said poking Max's forehead gently.

Max quickly swatted his finger and pushed Dylan's head away, "Why do you always insist on getting so close? I thought I made myself clear last time?" He asked sitting up and glaring at Dylan.

Dylan stood up straight and laughed softly, "Well, I thought you were joking."

Max gaped at Dylan with his mouth slightly parted. "I wasn't." He told him, "Don't touch me again unless you plan on giving me a hundred bucks in cash."

"Max, again with the money-"

"We are not having this conversation here." Max interrupted quickly. He glanced over to Sera who was looking at them argue with a curious expression. He didn't need Sera to know more about his private life than she already knew.

Dylan waited a couple of seconds before he nodded, "Fine." He said with a sigh.

"Good."

"This is awkward. I'll go to the kitchen." Sera said as she stood up and walked into the kitchen with Dan.

Max watched Sera go as he got a text. He looked down and saw it was from his uncle. He was hesitant to open it, but he did.

'Ten minutes. I sent a car to pick you up.'

Max frowned as he looked down at the message. He was surely going to demand his money again. He hated having to go see his uncle whenever he called, he felt like a dog on a short leash. He was tempted to tell him to fuck off but didn't. He didn't want anything to happen to his sister for his stupidity.