Chapter Twenty-One: Sneaking Around

{Nico}

After Mikhail and I left the cemetery yesterday, he kept making sure I understood what we were. It was cute. His lips were puckered into a stubborn line. He didn't stop asking me if I understood what he meant until I asked him to be my boyfriend exclusively. His eyes widened and then softened. He said he would but wouldn't hesitate to leave me if I annoyed him. He wasn't serious, obviously. I could tell that dating was something new for him. As we walked side by side he kept fidgeting. He didn't know what to do with his hand as it was interlocked with mine.

In an effort to stand closer to Mikhail, I put my arm over his shoulder while maintaining our hands holding. His face was flushed a red color as he kept his eyes on the ground. Emotions weren't Mikhail's forte so I knew he had trouble expressing himself fully. I also knew how much it meant that Mikhail was the first to kiss me all on his own. It meant that he was serious about me, about us.

I worried about news of Mikhail and I getting together traveling to Eli's ears. The last thing I needed was him going after Mikhail so he could take, yet another, important thing from my grasp.

I told Max as soon as I got home after walking Mikhail back yesterday and, even though I was really skeptical, I told Sera. I didn't want to believe that she would ever choose Eli over myself. I realized I had been a bit too rude to her and I apologized as well. I was letting my fear of Eli being here consume me and I took it out on Sera. She cared about both Eli and I and it wasn't fair of me to put her in the middle and make her choose a side. I was just lashing out on an easy target.

I was sitting down in Max's room reading one of the many manga books he had in his room. The only thing he ever bought with his own money was manga and even then he only chose volumes that he absolutely needed. Well, to be honest, I was only skimming through the pages rather than actually reading it. I had nothing better to do and Max was still not allowed to move out of bed. Making sure the idiot didn't injure himself more than necessary was my job for the day. Sera was on the opposite side filing her nails silently.

Neither Sera or I were really talking since Max decided to take a nap. Or at least he was trying. After about two minutes he groaned loudly, "I can't sleep with you two hovering over me!"

I peaked at him from behind the manga and said, "Shut up. Think of us as your personal guards for today. Go back to sleep."

"We could hit you on the head. I Heard that does the trick." Sera added. "Knock you out real easy."

Max shifted in his bed roughly, not even minding his bandages, until he was sitting up against the wall. "Don't touch me." He pointed a leveled finger at Sera. "This is dumb. I don't need bodyguards. Don't you two have better things to do then to hang around in my room. Get out." He pleaded.

I rolled my eyes and dropped the manga on the side table. "Why do you want us gone? Are you going to call Droopy again?" I asked. They had been talking for hours on end, perhaps even more so than Mikhail and I.

"His name is Dylan and maybe? Why do you care?" He asked crossing his hands over his chest. "He's just worried."

Sera smirked softly, "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you have a crush on Dylan."

Max started coughing and then glared at Sera, "What!?... No! I- I- well, You like Dan!" He said back.

"Pft!" I put my hand to cover my mouth as a flustered Max threw out a kindergarten comeback at Sera. He was usually better at them. "Good job, Max. You showed her."

Sera laughed and shrugged her shoulders, "It's not that." She insisted, "I don't really have romantic feelings for her. It's just something to pass the time." Both of my eyebrow shot up as I looked at her. Max was slightly glaring at her. "What?" She asked looking at both of us.