Chapter Thirty: Game On

{Nico}

I was having a hard time looking Sera in the face. I should have been angry at her. I should have felt betrayed and hurt inside because she chose Eli but I couldn't. I knew that I wasn't exactly a perfect person in her eyes. We made a silly deal between ourselves, and my father since he first brought up the idea of marrying Sera, but that's all I ever thought it was. I'm also to blame for thinking lightly of Sera's feelings in the beginning. Of course, Eli was also at fault for exploiting Sera's feelings and getting into her head.

When I told her I would free the both of us from Eli, I wasn't lying. I was determined to get Eli locked up as soon as possible so he would be gone from our sight. That was the only way I could ever see any of us happy again. With Eli out of the picture I imagined Sera would make things right with Dan and perhaps they would start dating. As someone who looked up to Sera like an older sister, I really only wanted the best for her. Even after everything that went down.

However, things didn't seem to be going that smoothly. We were all around the center table again back in the detectives building. Sera was at one end of the table with a cool and collected look on her face. She didn't look like she was going to start talking anytime soon about Eli's whereabouts. I mean, sure, all we had to do was wait until he called again to give us his location but it would be ideal to sneak up on him when he wasn't expecting us. That way we could have the advantage. Also, we didn't even know when he would call back. The phone was in my pocket safely put away from Sera's reach.

"She's not going to talk, is she?" Junky asked as he sat on top of the table right next to Frederik, who was sitting on a chair. "I say we take Tea's offer and use a bit of force on her."

"We're not going to behave like Eli." I said glaring at Junky. "We won't stoop down to such lengths."

"It would just be a few quick punches, Nico. That can not be any worse than what your freak of a brother could be doing to the other two right about now." Junky pointed out with a bored expression as he looked down at his nails instead. "Besides, you're the Mafia for Christ sake. It's not like this is something you've never had to do."

"To strangers, yes. Never to people I'm close with. People who I consider like my own blood."

"I don't really see the difference between a stranger and her at the moment." Frederik said clasping his hands on his lap. "I figured you'd be a bit more harsh on this girl. I didn't really think you'd value her life now that she betrayed you."

Junky smiled, "Right?! I was definitely thinking the same, like, I half expected the inner Mafia to come out of Nico there. I thought we'd witness a murder today. I've always wondered how the Delacroix deals with dead bodies. I've seen how a few other families dealt with them but the Delacroix is one of those that keep to themselves. Everything is so hush-hush." Junky started rambling again for the hundredth time that day that only worked to irritate me. "Ah, but back on topic. I seriously didn't expect the future boss of the Delacroix to have human emotions towards some girl."

"Hey." I said in a warning tone towards Junky. "Despite what she's done, Sera is still apart of my family. I don't give a flying fuck who you people are, don't talk bad about her. Only person in the room allowed to do that is me. She is not 'some girl', got it? Her name is Sera. Learn it."

Frederik slightly rolled his eyes. If I hadn't been looking in his direction then I would have missed it. "Sorry if I have no interest in learning the name of some girl who threatened Lion and Damien."