Chapter Eight: Daring Stranger

{Nico}

"Was that really a good idea? Just leaving like that..."

"You could have stayed behind. No one forced you to come out with us." I told Sera as I looked out the window. The new driver was taking us to the mall since I wanted to be anywhere other than at home.

Once Max saw my face, he wanted to go up and beat Eli up. I dragged him out of the house without saying a word to my father or Naomi. Of course, she made a scene thinking I had punched Eli. I knew that Eli was trying to bait me into hitting him so I would get punished. I didn't fall for his trick after falling for it many times in the past.

Sera appeared worried and asked many questions. She even insisted that I clean up my busted lip but I ignored her. I didn't want to spend even another second there. Besides, I didn't know whether Sera was even actually worried about me. It had seemed like she just wanted to go and check up on Eli. Like, she assumed I had left him half dead in the hallway or shot a bullet through him.

"Seriously. Quit bitching or go back." Max agreed.

"Hey, I'm still older than you, you little shit."

"Oh, I'm scared." He pretended to shake with fear and then he shook his head and looked away. "You wanted to go upstairs and make sure Eli was alright. Obviously you don't trust Nico as much as he thought you did."

"Is this about my loyalty to you two again?"

I tried tuning them out but it was difficult when Max was next to me in the back seat and Sera was in front in the passenger seat. I had left the house because I didn't feel like arguing with anyone. I just wanted some peace and quiet though I guess bringing max and Sera wasn't a good idea if I really wanted to be left alone. They often fought with each other over very meaningless topics. I didn't know how they weren't exhausted yet of being so annoying.

Max laughed and said, "If you know then stop playing dumb. It's clear as rain that you're siding with Elisha and the wicked witch. I'm sure you came along just to keep tabs on Nico."

"Don't be an idiot. I'm not-"

"Really? Then why did you back down so easily when Elisha approached you? You never back down."

"That reminds me," I said looking at her through the rear view mirror, "why did Elisha ask if you were keeping me out of trouble. It sounded like you two talk frequently." Sera moved uncomfortably in her seat and bit her lip. She looked unsure of how to answer so I sighed softly and looked out the window again. "Never mind."

"Nico! Don't let her off the hook so easily! You're too soft on her! Break her down and force the truth out! What if she is a spy-"

"Max. Enough." I said forcefully but kept my eyes on the scenery moving past us. I didn't want to think about the possibility of Sera betraying me for Eli. Perhaps it was wishful thinking on my part but I hoped it was just a simple misunderstanding. I didn't want to know the truth so I kept my back to it, as stupid as it seemed. "Sera knows what would happen if she were to be spying on us for Eli. He's no longer apart of Delacroix. Things much worse than death would be awaiting her if she fed Eli information about me."

Max scoffed. He was always so quick to jump to conclusions without thinking properly. It was way too early to tell if Sera was working for Eli. If she was, I wouldn't forgive her. The conversation died down and the car was silent.

There was also an issue of the new driver. He was quiet but looked troublesome. He looked young, possibly mid-twenties. Even if he wasn't working for Eli there was a possibility of him working for another group. Like I've mentioned previously, many groups wish to get rid of us simply because we hold more power. I've been receiving many death threats since I was announced the next successor. It wasn't anything new to me and even if they were threats, I didn't feel threatened by them. They were all talk.