Chapter Seven: The 'King' Arrives

{Nico}

I was pacing back and forth in the living room. I normally wouldn't have been so nervous but Eli was coming home today so I was on edge. I wasn't sure if he was going to be spending the entirety of his winter break with us but I hoped he wouldn't. Things were already a bit complicated with father being sick that I didn't need another problem.

"Can you sit down? Stop pacing around the room. You're irritating me." Max said lounging comfortably across the sofa. He was reading some car magazine without a care in the world.

"You want me to sit down when a crazed psychopath is coming to live here under the same roof for two weeks?!" I asked with a scoff. I shook my head in irritation.

"He's not going to try anything. You're the next boss. If anything happens to you it's obviously going to be traced back to Elisha." Max reminded me and sat up. He dropped the magazine on the center table and smirked softly, "Don't tell me you're scared?"

"Course not." I said too quickly to be believable. I sighed loudly and sat down across from Max. "I just never know what he's thinking. He's a know it all and annoys me."

Max nodded in agreement, "He's so full of himself. It's disgusting."

"Shh!" I hushed, "Naomi or my father might hear you!"

"He already knows that his first born is corrupt anyways." I sighed loudly again hearing Max speak and felt like my soul was leaving my body. Max didn't know the timing for certain things or social queues so he often spoke his mind freely.

It's true, in a way. Elisha is corrupt in the sense that he decided to start his own small group. It's nothing too big yet but even starting a separate group than the one you are born in has never been seen. Honor comes in the family name and Eli decided to throw it away for a new one. The only reason he's even allowed back into the home is because Naomi wanted him home.

We have different mothers. His mother already lived here by the time my mom got pregnant with me. As per the rules, she wasn't allowed to live with us and we had to hide the fact that dad had an affair. I visited mom often and got scolded, mainly by Naomi.

I had to pretend his mother was my mom to the public eye to keep rumors from spreading. Thankfully for them, my mother also had black hair so I didn't look too different from the rest. Many just said I looked more like my father where as Eli got his mother's features.

His mother treats me like a stranger. When we are alone, she won't acknowledge my presence. She's still bitter about my dad having an affair with my mom and the fact that her son won't be the next head of the family despite being older. If my dad is around, Naomi throws sly, backhanded comments behind my father's back directed at me. Really, it doesn't even bother me unless she talks badly about my mother. Mom died when I was young. Maybe about a year and a half after Sera was brought to live with us.

Poison in her cup.

No one to this day knows how it happened or who did it considering she lived apart from us. I have my suspicions but I've only ever voiced them out to Max. He was the only person I could fully trust to keep a secret. I had my doubts on Sera's loyalty and where she stood. She was always a bit too close to Eli for my comfort. She always seemed to choose his side as well so I kept tabs on her at all times.

Betrayal was frowned upon very seriously.

You'd be tortured for days, weeks, months, and sometimes even years depending on the severity of the betrayal. Each case was looked at separately and where you stood in terms of power was thrown to the side. Traitors were stripped of their name and everything until they were just worthless pieces of trash.