Chapter Twenty-Eight: One Surprise After Another

{Nico}

"Okay, so I get that this is the real world but I would have thought you detectives would have found, or at least had a clue, where their location is at by now." I said impatiently to no one in particular. I was still sitting at the center table shaking my leg repeatedly. Junky was kind enough to let me borrow a change of clothes and even went as far as to lend me a pair of shoes before he left. He mentioned that it wasn't strange for them to sometimes spend weeks inside the building when working on cases. It was a relief to finally have on some dry clothes. He had, however, left a trailing mess of clothes that he had attempted to just shove back into a small closet.

Seriously, Lion had acted all cool a few hours ago saying how when he got serious things actually got done but currently they were all working on their individual projects. Junky hadn't been back from getting guns. Frederik and Erin had been glued each to their own computer screens. Tea was arguing with some guy they kept referring to as Captain on the phone for the past twenty minutes and lion was also talking to someone on the phone in Tea's office with the door closed. Dylan knew that he couldn't do much for anyone here so he left a while back to go with Mikhail's dad. Apparently Dylan thought it would be a good idea to tell Mikhail's dad in person what happened to his son. I tried convincing Dylan otherwise but he wouldn't listen despite the fact that I told him that Mikhail's dad would only let his emotions get in the way and possibly ruin our plans.

I'm not heartless, okay? I get it. Mikhail is his son and he should he alerted of what happened to Mikhail but I just can't feel any sympathy for a father who was going to walk out on his only son. Also, I knew that Mikhail's father was going to start yelling at me about how this was all my fault. I had just gotten out of my self-hate stage and I wasn't really looking to get back into it. Though, if I had to be honest? I felt like I was already taking a step back in. I felt a bit worthless just sitting around. There really wasn't much I could do without the Mafia's help. It was then that I realized how worthless I actually was without my Mafia influence.

"Where'd Dylan go?" Frederik asked finally disconnecting his eyes that were glued to the computer screen a few seconds ago. We had all pulled an all nighter though Tea's team all looked used to staying up all night without sleep. I was as well but I didn't know how they were all able to function properly without food for hours.

"He left to check on Mikhail's father." I said sighing softly. "I told him not to come back. He's useless in this situation anyways." Was what I told Frederik about Dylan when really it was what I was feeling about myself.

"Ah." Frederik nodded and stood up. He stretched his arms in the air and grunted in pain from being hunched over. "Don't touch the computer." He told me, "I'm running a quick scan through the stop lights to see if I can spot Elisha somewhere. It's tricky. I think I spot him so I follow him through the streets but then I lose him." He had a frown on his face and then offered, "Coffee?"

"I'm not an idiot. I wouldn't touch your computer even if you hadn't told me and to answer your question, that would be great. Thanks."

Frederik nodded and went towards the left where a snack station was at. Coffee maker, a toaster, microwave, a mini fridge were all in the corner. I hadn't even noticed it until Frederik made his way towards it. It would have been useful to know it was there hours ago truthfully. I had fallen asleep for a while with my head down on the table so I didn't really look around much at the building.

You would think that because it was on the lowest floor that it would be dark inside with florescent lights but there were windows located near the top of the wall. The room we were all in seemed like the common room where they would all spend most of their time since there was a mess everywhere. Papers, trash, and clothes were laying around. I had half the mind to clean up but decided not to. It wasn't my job or mess to clean up after a bunch of detectives. Besides, I would probably be the laughing stock of my group if it was ever found out that I became a temporary maid for dogs working for the government.