Chapter Twenty-Nine: Last Goodbye

{Seraphina}

Did Sera feel like a shitty human being? Yes. Was she apologetic to everyone that had to be involved? Absolutely. Was she going to turn over a new leaf all of a sudden and make amends? Not a chance.

Sera couldn't even begin to imagine going against Elisha's word. Not because she was afraid of getting hit again but because she loved him. Don't get her wrong, she loved Nico as well but it was obvious that ever since Mikhail showed up that Nico was no longer going to hold up his promise with Sera. She still loved him and wished that she didn't have to hurt Nico in this way but Elisha's word was final. Elisha had given her the freedom to choose who she wanted to be with in the beginning and ultimately Nico made the decision for her. Elisha didn't berate Sera for choosing Nico. He only welcomed her with open arms which is exactly what she needed. Elisha was what she needed. Sera knew this from the start, that only Elisha would accept her as she was.

Sera was willing to betray a number of people and even go as far as to kill anybody for both the Delacroix brothers. In fact, she had. She had lost count of the number of dead bodies she had left behind all because Elisha wasn't able to. Her hands were stained with the blood of both guilty and innocent people. Sera should have felt some kind of remorse, but she didn't. She was glad to be of use to Elisha.

Sera knew that her sense of love was twisted. There was no denying the truth. She loved Elisha and Nico both dearly. Of course, her first pick would have obviously been Nico but he hadn't wanted her in return. Nico made his decision to be with Mikhail so she also had to make hers. In a way, yes, she was extremely jealous that someone from a low income family had taken her place beside Nico but perhaps it was for the best. In her own mind, Elisha would give her everything that Nico would not dare. With Elisha, Sera had a greater chance at finding who it was that murdered her family when she was younger and she would now stand at the top of the underground world by Elisha's side. Rightfully so, where no one could take her spot. Sera could already imagine the worthless people begging at her feet for mercy and forgiveness. Family, money, power. There was nothing greater in life than those three things. Or so Elisha had carved into her mind to remember.

Now, if you asked her how she felt for Dan then she wouldn't be able to answer with confidence. She didn't hate Dan. Sera liked her just fine. Sera had even tried to keep Dan away from harms way but she had panicked and made a false judgment to bring Dan along. Sera definitely didn't want to see Dan in any physical pain. In fact, she felt a connection the evening that they had slept together. Though, her loyalty belonged to Elisha at this point. Elisha simply had more he could offer Sera. He had promised Sera that by the time the sun was setting they would be on their way to their new home. Elisha told her that he would settle his business with Nico tonight and they could start their own family the same night and she believed him. She had no reason not to. Sure, he hit her when she made stupid decisions but she had convinced herself that Elisha was doing it out of goodwill. He was teaching her right from wrong.

Sera took a deep breath in as she worked on reminding herself that she was doing the right thing. It was getting harder by the second as sera looked down at Dan's defenseless body laying in her own bed inside Dan's house.

Elisha didn't want Dan in his line of sight so that either meant Sera had to kill Dan or take her away somewhere else. Elisha had referred to Dan as nothing more than a worthless, annoying tick. Sera didn't agree with that about Dan but decided not to voice her opinion and obediently did as she was told. Clearly, Sera wasn't going to kill Dan so she had to use a little force to knock Dan out so that Dan wouldn't make a fuss about leaving Mikhail's side. Meanwhile, Elisha drove both Mikhail and Max out of the warehouse and into a small cabin in the woods. According to Elisha, everything was moving exactly as he had planned.