Chapter Eleven: Don't Fall in Love

{Mikhail}

"You look out of it. Did you fail a test?" My dad asked as he came into the living room holding two hot chocolates. He placed mine in front of me on the center table and sat down on the floor as he blew into his mug.

It had been two or three days since I had gone to the mall with Dylan and Dan. Meaning my birthday was coming up faster than I anticipated. First my birthday and then Christmas. I just had to get those two annoyances over with so I could get back to the norm and study until I graduate.

"Don't insult me." I finally said shaking my head slightly.

My dad laughed and looked up at where I was sitting with my knees up to my chest on the couch. "I'm still a bit shocked that insinuating a failed test is an insult to you."

"I'm shocked that even surprises you anymore. Of course I'm insulted that you think I would ever fail a test. I don't spend hours studying because it's fun."

"You don't?" My dad asked with a playful smile.

"I'm making sure I have another career path incase you let mom's shop burn to the floor." I said ignoring his remark rudely.

Sometimes I felt like he didn't take any of this seriously. We had to pay bills soon and I wasn't sure we would have enough for this month. Business has been slow but every year we hope the holidays will be good to us. Although since we do live in the bad part of town, business isn't as frequent as I would like it to be. Dad, as per usual, takes everything lightly. He says that our efforts will be pay off in the long run. Honestly, he's just an optimistic idiot at this point. What part of living month to month will pay off in the end with his carefree attitude that will surely be his downfall.

"That's a little rude. I'm trying you know. I even went as far as to take a loan."

"Which was really stupid." I added.

Dad flinched and laughed softly, "I know, I know. I'm a bum of a dad. I have to get us by one way or another. I can't always rely on my son to handle our financial issues."

"Work does wonders for that." I said sighing. "Also, fixing the shop so that we can actually get paying customers instead of window shoppers and thieves."

"Aren't you asking for a bit too much?" He said jokingly. He took a sip of his coffee and smiled, "I'm not the world's best dad but I'm trying-"

"Which reminds me." I said cutting him off, "What did you do with the dirty money? Nico did mention that he wanted their money back when he showed up here but I've never even seen a single penny of it anywhere."

My dad froze in his spot and then calmly put his cup on the table and looked at me with a serious expression, "Forget that for now. Since when have you been on first name basis with the Delacroix's son?"

"What?" I felt like at that moment my heart skipped a beat. I didn't understand why I suddenly felt guilty. I bit my lip and answered him, "Well I've met him a few times on the street."

"Mikhail, are you involved with that guy? I've never seen you around anyone other than Dylan and Dan. Are you two-"

"What the hell are you thinking, dad!?" I said with my eyes wide open. I could feel my face heating up as I placed the mug on the table and put my feet on the floor. "He's apart of the Mafia with money and power and I'm simply in charge of a flower shop on the bad part of town!" I said quickly, "Besides he's- and I'm- it would never work! We live in two entirely different worlds. Something like dating that guy is ridiculous. Why would you even ask me that?"