Chapter Fifteen: Walking Forward.

{Nico}

"Are we actually going to the stupid party? I see no point in going." Max whined behind me as he made himself comfortable on my bed.

I was in front of the mirror looking at my reflection as I was getting ready. I had gone with something semi-formal since Dan's father was a business partner of my father. I didn't think she knew and if she did then she didn't care that we were apart of the Mafia. After the short shopping session and my failed attempt at buying something for Mikhail behind his back. We were invited, sort of, to Dan's house for a nice little get together.

"Of course." I nodded. I wondered if leaving my earrings in and exposing my tattoos would be inappropriate but left them in anyways. Dan's family weren't anyone we couldn't afford to lose if we offended them. They probably needed us more then we needed them. "It should be fine."

"Should. Very comforting." Max said.

"Toss me my shirt." I said turning around and pointed to the black V-neck shirt that was right under him. He lifted his body up and grabbed the shirt. Max threw it at me and clicked his tongue. "Relax." I stressed as I grabbed the shirt in mid-air. I smoothed it out as best as I could and took it to the ironing board. "Why are you so against going all of a sudden?"

"It's not all of a sudden. I just don't think it's safe to be so relaxed when Elisha is still here. "

I shook my head with an eye roll. I took out the iron and plugged it in. I turned it on and left it for a few seconds to heat up. "That's not it. You're never this uptight when he's here. Does your attitude have something to do with that Derek guy?"

"Who? Derek?"

"That's not his name?" I questioned with a tilt of my head, "Dominik? Drake? Denver? Dean? Dumbo?"

"Dylan." Max corrected me.

"Ah, that's it. I was close." I snapped in realization and leaned back carefully on my dresser. "Does it have anything to do with Dylan?"

"I don't know. Maybe? He pisses me off."

I laughed softly and nodded, "He bugs me too." I sighed, "Though, not like I can do anything about it. Mikhail and him are best friends. I just have to endure his presence. He's seems really into you though." I said with a smirk.

"Really into me as a person or what I can offer him?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, "What do you mean? Is he trying to sleep with you. I swear I'll break his-"

"Not... Exactly." He said quickly and then softened his tone. He refused to looked at me as he kept his eyes on the ceiling. "He said he wouldn't buy me."

"That should be a good thing. Why do you look confused."

"because, no one has ever- never mind. This is stupid. It's not a big deal."

"Max-"

"Forget it. Sorry for wasting your time just now." He said to shut me up.

Max looked like he really didn't want to go. There was probably something else that was bothering him but knowing Max, he didn't want to talk about it. I wasn't going to force him to either. There was no use in getting in an argument a few hours away from a party. Max's foul temper would ruin the festive mood for everybody. The last thing I needed was an angry sixteen year old sulking in the corner.

"I'm here, you know. For whenever you're ready to let me help you." I said quietly.

Max let out a long breath and turned his head to look at me, "I know. I just need to think to myself for a bit."