Chapter Seventeen: Christmas Eve Surprise

{Nico}

Mikhail, his glasses friend, and I were sitting down around the table eating pancakes and eggs with a very light conversation. I couldn't exactly flirt with Mikhail with his friend glaring me down. Well, I could have but his glare annoyed me more than I thought was possible. Sera and Dan had both mysteriously excused themselves from the table about ten minutes earlier. I knew they were doing something as they were being way too quiet in the kitchen. Mikhail didn't seem to notice though. He was too focused on trying to eat without puking, when suddenly the ceiling lights turned off and, though sunlight shined through the large window, Dan and Sera came in holding a cake with five candles on top. It was about a six inch, white frosted cake.

"Haaaappy biiiirthday tooooo yooou!~" Dan began and Sera followed, motioning for both Glasses and I to follow in her lead.

I leaned back in my chair and looked towards Mikhail who looked flushed in the face. He was either going to puke or was embarrassed. Cautiously, I put my legs under my chair just for precaution as I soon began to sing him happy birthday. Okay, I wasn't so much singing it cheerfully but saying it amusingly. Mikhail bit his lip as he waited for the song to be over, fiddling with his thumbs nervously.

"Make a wish." Sera said once we all said the last line. They set the cake in front of him.

"Uhm, you guys didn't have to go to such lengths-"

"Shut up and blow out your candles!" Dan said flinching slightly as, I assumed, her own screaming made her hangover pains worse. "Go on. We do this every year." She told him as she took out her phone and was ready to take a picture and or video.

"No need to feel embarrassed, Mikhail." Glasses said with a smile, finally taking his eyes off of me for a few seconds to focus on Mikhail, "Hurry. Before the candle wax drips onto the cake!"

Mikhail squirmed uncomfortably as everyone's attention was on him. He risked a glance towards me and I smirked in his direction. I winked slightly as his attention went quickly back to the cake. "Uhm, thanks." He took a couple seconds to look at the cake. He took in a deep breath and blew out the candles.

"Yay!" Dan said very softly I almost didn't hear her and Sera flicked on the lights. "Who wants a piece?"

"I'll pass." I spoke up, "not really a fan of sweets in general."

"Eh? Seriously?" Dan asked looking at me. I nodded shortly and she shrugged in response, "Well, okay. If you say so."

Mikhail lifted his hand up, "I don't really want-"

"Birthday boy gets cake whether he wants it or not." Dan interrupted quickly.

"I didn't really ask for a cake though."

Dan ignored him entirely as she placed cake on a clean plate and handed it to him, "Eat up. It's your favorite." Mikhail grumbled something softly but forced himself to, at least, eat a bit of the cake to satisfy Dan. Dan served herself and Sera also took a small piece of cake. Glasses took a rather large piece that I wasn't sure he was even going to finish.

After a while, everyone started cleaning up the mess in the kitchen and placed the cake inside the refrigerator. "My head is killing me." Dan said placing her head softly on the table after the clean up. "I think I got too carried away last night."