Chapter Four: Lingering Warmth

{Mikhail}

I yawned softly and rubbed my eye forcefully. I managed to get three hours of sleep last night. I was up doing laundry and studying in between. Dad offered to stay up with me and help but I sent him away not wanting him to mess up the colors like he did last time. He bought the detergent but also bought a pack of cigarettes.

He tried explaining himself but I refused to listen. He just fed me empty promises and hollow apologies like always.

I had him explain what that weird guy wanted yesterday. Dad said he was the son of a loan shark he owed money to. I should have expected it. I didn't know how much money he owed and, quite frankly, I didn't want to find out.

Apart from doing laundry and studying, I was trying to find a solution to my dad's problem. I was worrying about what would happen to us if he didn't give them the money he owed. I was positive we didn't have that kind of money. At this rate, I was going to have to take a separate job aside from our small shop. We were going to need a stable income if we were going to pull through this mess.

Dad refuses to get another job because he says that the flower shop is his life. I just wish that if there was any truth in his statement that he would actually take it seriously.

"Are you taking every thing by yourself again, Mikhail?" Dylan asked bumping into my shoulder softly.

We were on our way to school along with my other friend, Danielle she preferred to be called Dan or Dani. "Tell that worthless father of yours to pick up some of the responsibility. You're going to end up dropping dead on the floor one day. I'm worried." Dan said inspecting my face. "Don't say you have it handled. You look awful."

"Thanks for the boost in confidence, Dani." I said shaking my head, "Seriously, it's all handled." I tried explaining.

"You have bags under your eyes. How long did you sleep last night?" She asked.

"Enough." I lied.

"I call bullshit." Dylan said, "We already offered to help out. We are friends for a reason." He said frowning slightly.

I felt guilty. I knew that they only cared and wanted the best for me but there was no way that I could bother them with my own problems. Mom was always the kind of women who never let her burdens show. I wanted to follow in her footsteps and have people depend on me.

Dan rolled her eyes and said, "Maybe Dylan and I are the only people who think of us as friends."

I shook my head rapidly, "That's definitely not the case!" I assured her and grabbed her arm as we walked. "Sorry, but honestly. You guys don't need to worry about it. I've handled it this far."

Dylan scolded me, "You've handled it only because you work yourself down to the bone. Look at yourself. You've got no meet on your bones anymore!" I clicked my tongue quietly and let go of Dan's arm. "Seriously, Mikhail. Take a break every once in a while. You're not doing anyone any favors if you end up dying from exhaustion." He continued, "hang out with us today after school."

I sighed softly, "As lovely as that sounds, I have to go job hunting-"

"No, Mikhail. You're not taking on another job. Between your studies, job, and your father, you've got too much going on as is." Dan said putting her foot down, figuratively.