Chapter Five: Exhaustion or Determination

{Mikhail}

"You're not going to explain who those people in the morning were and how you knew them?" Dan asked, accusingly. "Trying to keep all of them to yourself or something? I didn't even know you hung out with people like them." We were finally in our last class of the day so it was pretty rowdy inside the classroom with people talking over one another.

"What?" I asked, baffled. "Not even close. I just don't want either you or Dylan hanging around them." I rubbed my eyes gently and looked at her with a stern glare, "Please tell me you aren't interested in that girl Seraphina? You always go after the bad girls and get your heart stomped on."

Dan scoffed lightly, "I've learned my lesson. There's no harm in checking her out, right?" She said with a mischievous smile that contradicted her words. "How old do you think she is?"

I sighed irritably and said, "Does it matter? She's older than you. Don't go around looking for her."

Dan rolled her eyes at me, "Calm down. She looks like she's still in her early twenties. I'm eighteen." She reminded me, helpfully. "Totally legal and I can't get pregnant. Score!" She said crossing her legs. She was sitting on top of her desk. She sat in front of me towards the back corner, near the windows.

"Dani-"

"It's harmless. I just checked her out. Don't get your panties in a bunch." Dan said and he as if brushing my worries away with a motion of her hand.

"I agree. It's like sex for your eyes." Dylan said coming up from behind and placed a bottled water in front on me. He sat down sideways in his seat with a smile.

"Oh God. Tell me you aren't after the minor!" I said, not realizing I had said it louder than intended.

"Shhh!" Dylan said reaching over and smacking my arm. "Can you not get me arrested? Thanks.

"You said 'sex for your eyes'." Dan spoke up with a shrug. "Sounds like something a predator would say."

"I have checked out other people before." He said matter of factly. "Besides, it's not like that with that Max kid. I just swear I've seen him before. He looked familiar."

I stared at him for a few seconds and then shook my head. "I'm going to tell you what I told Dan. Don't go near them. Seriously, they're not a good group to be around." I said hoping that would convince them.

I knew it wouldn't.

Dan is an adrenaline junky and purposely seeks out trouble. Her parents are pretty tame and normal. She's had a completely shielded childhood so now that she has a bit more freedom, she does reckless things continuously. Last year Dan started dating some guy who was in a motorcycle gang. She ran off and disappeared for nearly a month. Dylan and I had to cover for her with her parents. We said she went off to a camp with her team. We made sure we had communication with her everyday to make sure she was alright. Eventually she came back because it was getting a bit too serious when the cops were involved over an 'accident' the gang caused.

Moral of that story: Dan is an adrenaline junkie and can never say no to the dangerous types.

Dan was definitely going to try to get close to Seraphina even if I did not approve.

Dylan is a bit different. He never goes out looking for trouble but somehow it always finds him. Just last week for example. He was walking home from his club activities and saw a kid being bullied. Being the heroic type, Dylan stepped in to protect the kid. Turns out, it was a scam and they all turned on Dylan. He managed to escape with a few bruises, nothing noticeable. He was able to fight off most of them.