Chapter Fourteen: Innocently Plotting

{Dan}

Mikhail had his usual emotionless face as he stared at a toy train go around a small plastic city over and over in circles. Dan almost swore that he was hypnotized. His eyes followed the train as it moved slowly on the tracks with a Christmas jungle playing in he background. Dan knew that Mikhail wasn't looking forward to his birthday at all. It never meant anything to him which confused her. She didn't understand how someone couldn't be excited for their birthday. She loved getting presents and spoiled on her birthday. She wondered why Mikhail was that way if he had a pretty regular childhood. Granted, Mikhail's family always struggled to get by but they seemed happy nonetheless. They were a close knit family.

Where as Dan's parents are semi-rich but she never is happy being around them. She doesn't like to tell people that her mother is a famous clothes designer and her father is a well-known lawyer that dotes on her because that information always gets people to act fake around her. Once girls find out who her mother is, they all want to go to her place to see her mom. Her father is a bit overprotective and always threatens the guys she brings home. That's why she always found it hard to date someone for a long time, be it a guy or girl. Even getting real friends who wouldn't use her for money was tough on its own.

That's why she was thankful when she met Mikhail and Dylan. They accepted her right away for who she was. With her flaws and imperfections. They never begged to borrow money and never brought up her parents. She was grateful to have them as her best friends. Of course, she had tried lending Mikhail money but he strongly refused. She wanted to help Mikhail and lessen his worries but she supposed it was his pride getting in the way.

"Mikhail. Quit staring at that. You're going to end up losing your mind." Dylan said as he had just showed up. The next day was going to be Christmas Eve so Dan wanted to get all the shopping out of the way. Even if they were doing everything last minute.

Mikhail tore his eyes from the train and looked at Dylan, "I was lost in thought." He admitted.

"Really? We couldn't tell." Dan said sarcastically. She hugged Dylan as a greeting and pulled away, "Your grandparents actually let you out today? I thought you wouldn't be able to make it?"

Dylan's grandparents were really strict. He helped out at their hotel whenever he had time off. They always worked him to the bone but he never complained. Dan only met his grandparents once and she avoided going to see them again. They scared her. His parents died from a car accident when he was a kid. He was in the car when it happened and got out with a few scratches. He lives alone and pays for his own things with his part time job at his grandparents hotel. He lives in an a one room apartment by himself. Dylan said that he likes living on his own and not in a hotel room under his grandparents roof. She offered lending money to him but his pride also got in the way.

What was with guys and not being able to suck up their pride?

"I had to promise I'd work all day and night on Christmas." Dylan sighed dramatically. "Today better be worth it." He pet her head softly.

Dan smacked his hand away lightly and smiled, "It will be." She assured him as she looked around for Sera. She had texted her to hang out and even told her to bring along Nico and Max. She just hoped they would actually show up.

"Why do you look so sure?" Mikhail spoke up, "Honestly, being approached by a drunk Santa barely able to form a sentence and a tall 'elf' who looked like he hated his job couldn't have made your Christmas Eve shopping experience already amazing." He made air quotations with his fingers at the word elf. It was just a regular guy dressed in all a green shirt and following around the drunk Santa. Honestly, Dan was disappointed that people were losing the Christmas spirit.