Chapter Twenty-Four: Betrayal

{Nico}

"I told you we should have gotten a double bag!" Glasses was currently yelling at me. "but, nooooo. You were rushing me so we left after they put only one bag!"

He was picking up the fire crackers that had fallen out of the now ripped plastic bag. Dylan, yes I've known his name all along just calling him Glasses and other names angers him which gives me purpose in life, was kneeled down on the ground making sure he picked them all up. He had wasted a lot of time going back and forth between which ones he should buy. He was so indecisive I was tempted to buy them all just to lessen the time I had to spend next to him. We only had about five or six minutes until New Years and I really didn't want to spend the first few seconds of the new year with Glasses.

Just the thought alone was enough to make me barf.

Dylan kept complaining on and on about how the bag ripping was my fault. Honestly? It wasn't. If he hadn't taken so much time this whole situation could have avoided. My prayers were heard as my phone rang in my pocket. I looked down and saw that it was Frederik. "Stop talking for two seconds. I have an important call." I ordered Dylan.

"I get that you're some big shot Mafia member or whatever, but I'm not your underling. You can't just order me around and expect me to listen to your every command." He complained to me.

"I'm walking away now." I told Dylan and did just that. He shouted something at me but I didn't pay it any attention. I picked up the call and put the phone to my ear, "Any news of the medicinal tea?"

"Yes. That's why I'm calling"

"Great. So? What's the news?" I asked with a small snicker and ran my free hand through my hair.

"Yes, well, I was I was getting to that. We ran every possible test we could but it came back as just normal tea. Herbs and leaves inside. Nothing out of the ordinary."

"Positive?" I asked, "maybe you missed something?"

"Not possible. We had our best working on it."

"Seriously? Well, fuck." I said a little mad that there wasn't anything dangerous inside the tea. I was kind of hoping there was some kind of poison inside so I could get rid of Naomi from both father's and my life. However, since everything came back negative, I had no proof that Naomi was behind my father getting sick. Therefore, I was stuck living under the same roof as her.

"What did you hope to find in it?" Frederik asked breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Hm, poison or some kind of drug that made someone sick and weak."

"That sounds like anyone getting old... Oh, we looked into why you wanted us to check out the medicinal tea. Your father is sick right? You suspect his wife has something to do with it and used her connections to kill your father?"

"If you knew then why the hell did you ask?" I asked, trying to keep my calm.

"I was hoping you would tell me yourself. That way I would know the reason but you wouldn't know that we looked into things behind your back.." Frederik said bluntly. "Then, I wouldn't feel so bad."

I frowned slightly, "and do you? Feel bad that is."

Frederick made a small humming noise like he was thinking about it and then said, "Not really but I figured that it would make you feel better if I acted like I was feeling guilt for doing my job."