Chapter Six: Taking Breaks Can Be Good

{Mikhail}

Useless thoughts filled my head for the next couple of days. The stupid thoughts clouded my judgment and the butterflies in my stomach have only multiplied since I last saw Nico. I had to admit that his gesture of waiting patiently with me until I woke up at the park felt nice. I wasn't even sure how long he was waiting there for me to wake up that day.

I haven't seen him since then which made me feel a little odd. He is the son of a Mafia boss so I wouldn't be surprised if he had some dangerous jobs to take care of. We've only had two encounters since the first day I saw him in the shop. There was no reason for me to get so happy over his small actions.

It was the weekend which meant I had to run the shop while dad went out doing who knows what. Occasionally he would stand in and help but it wouldn't happen often. The closer we got to mom's December 25th leading into the 26th the more dad looked depressed.

We have two weeks off of school and go back starting the second of January. I already knew that these next two weeks were going to go by unbearably slow. It's not that I didn't like spending time at home, I did, but there were too many memories of mom. Perhaps that was why dad always seemed to vanished and never spent time at home. Though, honestly speaking, dodging his responsibilities made him unreliable as a grown up.

Even when he was home, he was usually drunk and would pass out in the living room or the back room. Occasionally he would sober up enough to help around he shop but he was so clumsy it irritated me and I would send him away.

Dylan and or Dan would come at times and volunteer to help out for free. Every time I offered at least a couple bucks they would turn me down and promise they had nothing better to do.

They were good people and the only friends I had after many found out in what kind of condition I lived in. Lots of kids from school were so close minded so when they found out I lived in such or conditions, they dropped me as a friends in fear of ruining their own reputation. I wasn't sad or bothered by it. It's not like they had really meant anything to me.

Paint from the walls was chipping and there were a few cracks coming down from the ceiling. It definitely was a safety hazard if an earthquake struck. Though, I highly doubted that we would get shut down because most of the houses in the neighborhood were the same.

The government did nothing to try to remodel this half of the city and instead used our tax dollars to invest in new 'toys' for war. That's why the Mafia ran a big part of the city. They kept money flowing so the government didn't try to stop their illegal businesses. Many people, though, wanted the Mafia gone. Some for selfish reasons and others for safety. To be honest, the Mafia was probably doing a better job at keeping most communities safe. Better than the government, that is. I've heard around that anyone who dared cross the Mafia, didn't end up so well. I could already imagine death and torture were how they would set an example for anyone else willing to play dirty but it was none of my business.

What my father did was none of my concern. He was an adult now, even if he didn't behave as one.

I would only get involved if something were to happen to the flower shop or they tried taking his life away. Dad was irresponsible but I wasn't going to lose my only family member over something like a debt. Dad's life probably wasn't worth much to the Mafia anyway. Realistically speaking, they would attempt to take the shop away and make a different business out of it.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I hadn't realized a few customers had come in. A man and what seemed like his wife or girlfriend. They were looking at different flowers around and talked amongst themselves.