Chapter 1

Lyra felt something cold and leathery touch her face. She lazily swatted it away, slightly annoyed by the fact that it had woken her up. She was always cranky in the morning.

"Morning." It said softly in her ear, it's warm breath prickling on her skin.

Lyra's eyes popped open and sat straight up on her bed, her eyes wandering around the room. She pressed a hand to her chest, breathing heavily.

Nightmares always came to her every night. She couldn't get rid of the nightmares unless Sirena or Crescent came.

Lyra looked over her phone and had missed several text messages and calls. Mostly from her boyfriend, Matthew.

Looking over the messages, her eyes felt heavy and dull. It was probably a bad idea to check her phone since it was too dark and that her eyes felt like it was burning.

Message from Crescent: I change my mind. I'm not going to the party, you and Sirena can go without me.

Message from Sirena: Cress is so going to back out from the party. Maybe we should just stay at my place and watch movies with just the three of us, what do you think?

Message from Crescent: Bad news, I totally forgot that I have to teach dance class for today after school. You go with Sirena to our usual hangout without me. Also Matthew's picking you up.

Message from Mathew: Sirena told me to pick you up. Looks like she wanted me to take to school than Cress.

Lyra groaned and rubbed her eyes, checking the time once more. Her eyes widened again and realized that she would be late to school. She looked over at the windows and saw that it wasn't dark, her curtains were blocking the light.

"I'm so dead!" Lyra hopped out of her bed and ran into the bathroom, getting changed.

Fifteen minutes went by and Lyra stood in front of her mirror, her black hair was in a perfect waterfall braid. Her sea green eyes were bright and lively as she adjusted her white shirt and plum skirt. She slipped into some brown ankles boots and headed downstairs, not noticing the door closing behind her quietly.

Walking down stairs, she smiled brightly at her mom.

"Morning!" She chirped, grabbing toast and putting on some butter.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah." Lyra looked up,"Matthew's picking me up instead of Sirena and Cress. Is that alright?"

Her mother's smile instantly turned into a frown,"I still haven't met that boy!"

"In the nearby future you'll meet him, I promise." She said, taking a small bite from her breakfast.

"So today is the day Cress has to teach dance class after school?"

"Yeah."

"So if it's after school, can't they pick you up in the morning?"

"They said that they want Matthew to pick me up. Sirena thinks it's good if we're bonding more while Cress thinks that I can do better," Lyra rolled her eyes. Cress was always so protective of her.