Chapter 8

*****

16 hours earlier

*****

Cress gritted her teeth in pain as she forced herself to shove her body inside one of her mother's stupid dresses for the fashion show.

Lyra rolled her eyes at her,"It can't be that bad."

"I'd rather stay back underground and continue fighting." Cress hissed at her, making her mouth shut. Sirena scowled at Cress an helped her fit in the dress. "At least your bruises were only minor, you could still star in your mom's fashion show."

"Say that one more time and I swear I will give these dresses to Zero!" She threatened Sirena.

Cress looked over herself in the mirror and glared at her reflection. The dress became all wrinkly because of how much she struggled to get in it and the lace was a bit torn. She rolled her eyes and began to take the dress off of her.

Cress wore her same clothes and threw away the dress on the floor, not caring about it. Lyra frowned as she picked it up. "It's a lovely dress, you shouldn't throw it away like garbage."

"It will become garbage sooner or later, Lyra." She said.

Mrs. Maxwell came into the rook and looked over at Cress with hesitant eyes. Crescent gave her a bored expression. "Is there anything you need?"

Her mother stayed silent.

Cress sighed and pointed at her door,"Get out if you don't have anything to say to me, I don't want to see your face, go back over to Europe and play with some other young girl."

"Cress, I came to say that I'm sorry-"

"Being sorry doesn't matter if you don't even feel sorry towards me." She said while glaring. Cress walked over to her and pushed her out of her room, not having the slightest guilt drawn on her face.

Sirena and Lyra looked at her in disappointment. "You shouldn't have done that Cress." Sirena said.

"So what? It's not like I'd care about her feelings. Sure, I loved her, but now it's different." She said while grabbing the dress from Lyra and throwing it out of her room. She muttered. "I hate dresses."

Lyra sighed. "Why are you so angry at her? Just because you guys haven't seen each other in a few months-"

"Years." Cress interrupted her. "We only had ever used videos to send to each other, but now it had been years since we last saw each other. She's been too busy making money and sending it to me that she doesn't have time to actually have a proper conversation with me. She's an idiot to think I only wanted money. I thought you guys would know how much I had missed her, but you guys are on her side. All she cares about is herself."

Lyra shut her mouth and instantly felt guilty.

Cress looked over at the clock and sighed. She lifted up her shirt a little bit and saw the huge bruise that had formed. Anymore pressure on it and it would have bled. Cress put her shirt down and looked at Sirena. "Do I have to star in the fashion show?"

"You have to. It's for your mom, many people are coming over there!" Sirena answered.

She shrugged,"So? Not like I know them or anything."

"Please?" Lyra hopped off Cress' bed and grabbed her shoulders. "I wanna be in your mom's fashion show so much! I need you to be there with me as well!"

Cress threw back her head and gave out a frustrated groan. She rubbed her temples a few times before answering her. "Ugh! I can never say no to you or Sirena. Screw my life."