Chapter 27

The funeral was awful as any other. It had been set right after the death of Violet.

The only people that remained was Cress, her friends, and her father. But it looked like her father couldn't bear to stay any longer.

"You know," Nicholo said softly. "I regret not being there with you at the hospital. I should've went and see your mom when I had the chance to."

Crescent's lips tremble.

Nicholo sighed and kneeled down in front of her as she sat down on the bench. He took her hands and and gave her a sad smile. "I'm sorry."

"Everyone's sorry," Cress made out with a sob. "All I see is pity in their eyes for me. What's worse is that the damn paparazzi is here. They won't leave us the hell alone."

Nicholo gripped her hands before releasing them. He rubbed her back reassuringly before looking over at the new grave where Lyra, Sirena, and Alaska were weeping at.

"I'll see you soon," Nicholo said with a regretful face. "I have to go do something. Once again, I'm sorry." Then he walked away, leaving Cress.

Crescent looked around and frowned, looking down at her hands that were in her lap. Of course her dad wasn't there anymore. She didn't blame him if he left her there as well.

"Cress?" Alaska silently walked up and say besides her. "We need to get going... it's going to be dark soon."

Crescent nodded grimly before getting up, wishing that she was locked up in her room.

She regretted everything she had said to her mother. It wasn't fair. They were supposed to be talking right now, making jokes, ask how each other's days went. Not let Cress witness her mother's funeral.

"Ms. Maxwell!" A reporter shoved up her microphone towards Crescent's face. "Do you know the cause of your mother's death? What happened to her? Do you know anything at all? Anything?"

"How disgusting." Alaska grimaced at her. "How dare you! Crescent is having a hard time right now, can't you see that she's upset? You're despicable! Go bother someone else."

The newswoman fearfully backed away, her face red from embarrassment. Cress rose her head and glared. "I wanna go home."

"And we will." Alaska said reassuringly. Alaska led her over to Sirena and Lyra. The three of the girls carefully grabbed Cress's arms and walked her over to Sirena's car, the crowd of people separating.

Sirena drove the car a bit slow, her mind still running through a billions thoughts of what happened.

They were at Lyra's place, spending the night. When Sirena woke up in the morning, she was being dragged outside the house. Alaska had thrown a jacket over at her and she confusedly put it on. When they all got in the car, Sirena asked what happened. No one answered, Cress kept on driving until they arrived at the hospital.

And when the doctors had told them what happened, everything clicked into Sirena's mind.

They shouldn't have ever left Violet's side.

"Sirena?" Cress called out to her in the back of the car.

"Yes?"

"Can we buy some chocolate ice cream?"

Alaska sighed and slumped down in the passenger seat. "Sure, whatever you want."