Chapter 26

"Crescent's mother has stage four cancer? What does that have to do with you working?" Adam scoffed at her.

Lyra glared at him,"To earn money, obviously! I need to get money to help out Mrs. Maxwell."

"Aren't they already rich?"

"Yeah, but I wanna do something to help."

"You know, you can always ask me to-"

"No, Adam." She rolled his eyes at him. "I'm not taking your money. I actually prefer working for it than asking."

He grunted in response and collapsed on the couch, closing his eyes. "You're too nice for your own good. Why do you have to help that woman again?"

"Because I've known her for years. She's nice."

"Nice? Doesn't seem like it? So what if she has cancer? Big deal."

"It is a big deal, Adam. She could die."

"And?"

Lyra rolled her eyes and took her jacket off the couch, putting it on her. "Where are you going?" He questioned, popping one eyes open.

"Looking for a job."

He immediately got up and snatched her wrist before she could even get close to the door. "Today was supposed to be just us. I thought we were going to have fun." Adam narrowed his eyes at her.

Lyra stopped for a moment. She did promise to spend the day with him, but with Cress's mother sick, she couldn't decide to help her or not. Would she be a bad person if she spent the day with Adam? No, she wouldn't be, right?

"Okay." She muttered. "I'm sure I can help out later..."

Adam's eyes brightened up instantly and he grinned. "Good. I thought I might have to knock you out or something." Serious. Lyra knew he was completely serious about knocking her out.

He might've. He's Adam after all.

—————

"How can you be sure she has cancer?" Cress asked her father.

He shook his head and sighed in exhaustion. "We went to a couple of hospitals to confirm it. The results were all the same, she has cancer."

"How?"

"What I've heard from her that cancer runs down her family. Her grandfather had it and it skipped your mother's father, so your mother has it now."

"Wait," Cress instantly got up. "You mean, if I had a child, it would get cancer?"

"I don't know... possibly."

Sirena grabbed Cress and sat her sat onto the couch. "Don't worry Cress, I'm sure it won't have happen."

Alaska threw Gerald a scornful look. "What a way to calm your daughter."

"I'm sorry, okay?" He grunted. "The doctors had prescribed her with medications, but none of them seem to be working. We're hoping to find another doctor to help her."

Cress sighed and rubbed her temples in frustration. So far, in the who damn world, no one actually had a cure for cancer. "Can't we remove the tumor?" Cress muttered.

"Tumor?" Alaska questioned.

"The stages indicates larger cancers or tumors that have grown more deeply into the tissue. If mother was just diagnosed with cancer, we can remove them, right father?" Cress asked hopefully. "If we don't hurry, the cancer will spread to the rest of her body."

"Wow..." Sirena commented. "That was impressive."

"Sirena, now is not the time." Alaska hissed.