Chapter 10

After a few days of Cress being in the hospital, she was finally back home. Lyra wasn't with her and Sirena, but she was at her house with Mrs. Fields.

"I'm happy that you're back." Sirena said with a big grin on her face.

"So am I." Nicholo said as he plopped down besides Cress on the couch.

Cress raised an eyebrow at him,"I really don't remember me inviting you over to my house."

"You didn't, the door was open." He shrugged.

"Stalker." Sirena coughed.

Nicholo gave her a glare then smiled at Cress. "Remember not to put too much pressure on your stomach if you're ever leaning over, alright?"

"Since when did you become my doctor?" Cress frowned at him.

Did he really care or did she just not notice? It's probably the latter.

"Since I found you lying on the ground, coughing up blood." He answered.

Cress looked away for moment at Sirena, sending her some signals for help. Sirena got the message and turned towards Nicholo,"So, uh, aren't you busy or anything?"

"No, why?"

"Um, Cress and I wanted a girls' day today."

"And so?"

"So could you go?" She asked.

"Sirena, dead, please don't be so rude to Mr. Kingston." Mrs. Maxwell came out from the hall and entered the living room.

Cress raised her eyebrow,"Mother? I thought you had work to do."

"I canceled my plans for last week and also this week." She said. "I wanted to spend time with my daughter."

Cress suddenly shot up right from the couch. "I'm heading to church."

"Huh? Why?" Sirena asked her, quickly standing up and going over to Cress's side so she wouldn't fall or escape.

"There's a demon possessing my mother and I want to go get holy water. So excuse me, I'm gonna have to wear a dress for this." Cress said, pushing Sirena away.

Mrs. Maxwell frowned. "Crescent Moon! Come back here!"

"And why should I exactly? You're supposed to be heading over to Europe again today for your brand." Cress said with a scowling face.

"I told you, I wanted to spend time with my daughter." Her mother replied.

She scoffed,"Yeah, okay, very funny mother, but get out."

"Cress!" Nicholo grabbed her hand and pulled her down, seating her besides him. "Watch your tone."

"You're not my dad. You're not even my boyfriend." Cress said.

"Cress, I am trying to spend them with you." Her mother said.

"Well I'm not. Excuse me please, Sirena and I have to go."

"We do?" Sirena was grabbed by Cress.

"Yes, we do. Remember? A girls' day for us?"

"Oh, uh, right."

Once they exited out of the house, Mrs. Maxwell sighed and sat down on the couch. Nicholo cleared his throat,"Mrs. M?"

"It's fine. I suppose it was my fault anyway that she doesn't trust me anymore." She waved it off. "Looks like I'll just have to try harder, that's all."

Nicholo smiled at her,"Let me help you then."

—————

Lyra yelped out and hissed as she pricked her finger on a thorn from one of the roses she was gathering for her grandparents.