Chapter 3

Last time on, Slexie - What If?

She says with tears forming in her eyes. "Callie." I say squeezing her hand."Like you said, she is going to make it, we all are." I say.

Lexie's POV

I wake up in a room, with someone standing by my side. "Bailey?"

"Yes Lexie, it's me." she says with a smile on her face."Where am I?" I ask.

"Some hospital, as you know, you guys were in a plane crash." she replies, sadly looking down at me.

"How's Mark?"

"Last I heard, he was awake and stable." she replied.

Millions of thoughts are swirling around my head, but there is really only one thing that I want in the whole world right now.

"Can I go see him?"

"I'll go ask the nurse." She says, and with that she walks out of the room.

How did this happen, I think to myself. I feel like there are a million thoughts in my head, and there is not one reasonable explanation behind any of them. Why did it have to be us, why did we have to be the ones that got stranded in the forest, slowly watching pieces of us die in the forest.

I am suddenly pulled out of my thoughts by a sharp pain coming from my right leg. I slowly pull off the blanket, and what I see causes me to have even darker thoughts.

When I pull away the blanket, the realization hits me, there is only one leg underneath this blanket, and nothing left of what used to be my other leg.

Mark's POV

Callie and I were talking about everything that happened, when a nurse came in. "Dr. Sloan, we where wondering if you were up to visitors." she asks. "Of course I am" I reply, looking at callie with my brown raised.

Callie and I sit, trying to wrap our brains around what happened and why it happened. All of a sudden we are pulled out of our conversation by a nurse walking and calling my name.

"Dr. Sloan, are you feeling up for any more visitors?"

"Yeah, send em in." I look over to Callie, and she just raises her eyebrows and me with a questioning look. "Do you have any idea?" She just shakes her head no, and I look out to the hallway and then I hear something being wheeled towards my room.

"Lexie!" I say, my face automatically lighting up.

"Mark" she breathes out, her face looks wet, and you can tell she has been crying. "What happened?" I ask worried, trying to reach for her but being stopped by the damn IV tubes in my arm.

"My leg, it's gone" she says, another wave of tears running down her face. I don't know what to do, so I reach my hand out, grabbing hers. "Lex, I am so sorry" is all I can come up with.

"How am I supposed to be a surgeon?" she says in between sobs.

"Lexie Grey, you survived a plane crash, and there are prosthetics out there that can make you walk like you used to. There's no need to worry Lex." I respond, trying to somehow calm her down. "Right now you just need to worry about getting better and we can figure out the rest later, I promise"

"I guess" she says, wiping stray tears. I can tell my words didn't seem to have any affect on her, but I am just going to take it one step at a time.

"Callie, can you somehow untangle me and help me get into bed with her?" I whisper to Callie who is sitting besides me. "Of course" she responds, giving me a smile and helping me slowly get up, while also making sure the IV's aren't ripped out.

As I try to stand, my knees seem to give out underneath me, like I didn't even have them in the first place. "I can get back up, don't worry." I look over to Callie who is staring me down with a worried gleam in her eye. Callie grabs hold of me, and I grab hold of my bed rails and regain my balance, Callie helping me the five feet over to Lexie's bed.

"I love you so much Alexandra Caroline Grey." I say smiling. "I love you too, Mark Everlett Sloan." she says smiling.

We seem to somehow wrap around each other, all while making sure all the cords and tubes that are connected to us don't disconnect or somehow get blocked.

"I'll leave you two alone, but you best behave" Callie says, smiling at us and slowly closing the door behind her.

"You know that you can't get rid of me that easily right?" I whisper into Lexie's ear. She slowly lifts her head up that she had placed on my chest and smiles at me.

"I wouldn't want it any other way, Mark Sloan" she says, again she slowly puts her head down and drifts off to sleep.

*5 hours later*

I wake up to the sound of Webber talking to Bailey in the room.

"What are you guys talking about, and why so loud." I say rubbing my eyes. I look over, and still notice Lexie sound asleep.

"We are talking about your discharge." Webber responds. "You mean like getting out of this hospital, and going to Seattle?" I reply, my voice anxious.

"Yes, that's what we mean." Bailey responds. "Well if we are going to go on a airplane, I want to be put out, and I know Lexie would want to be too, but I can't talk for the others." I respond, with fear arising in me.

"Of course Sloan" Webber says solemnly.

"We are going to be leaving in about an hour, so you should probably wake her up, and tell her what's happening." Webber says, and they leave the room.

"Lex" I say gently, starting to shake her a little.

"Yes" she says in a tired voice, rubbing her eyes.

"We are going back to Seattle." I respond. "That's good, right?" She says, looking at me.

"What, what is that look for?" she asks. I gulp, trying to find the right words to say. "You see, since we are far away, the only way to get back to Seattle is to take a plane."

I can see the fear starting to creep its way up on her face. "But I told them we want to be put to sleep for the ride, so we will wake up in Seattle all in one piece, and good." I say, trying to calm her down.

She stares at me for a minute, before nodding her head. "We'll be together, and as long as we are together, everything will be okay."

I smile at her, nodding my head and wrapping my arms around her. "Yes, we will be together, trust me, I am never letting you go again."

*45 minutes later*

"Dr. Sloan, Dr. Grey, we are going to move you guys into your beds, so we can put you under." the nurse from earlier says.

"Okay." I respond, gently waking up Lexie.

"Lex they are going to put us under now. But just remember when we wake up, we will be back in Seattle, and we can really begin our lives together, it's just one more trip, and then we have the rest of our lives."

Tears form in her eyes, but I can tell she is listening to what I am saying. "Yeah, okay, we will begin our forever" she responds.

"Don't cry, everything will be okay" I say, reaching for her hand, and she reaches out for mine.

"I love you Lexie"

"I love you more Mark"

With that we are put under, waiting to see one another again. 

1266 words