Chapter 21

Previously on, Slexie - What If?

"She is pregnant, and I am her boyfriend." I say, as they carry her down the stairs. "Casey! Meet us at the hospital!" I yell, following the EMS into the ambulance. "Okay!" is all I hear, before they shut the door. 

__________________________

Mark's POV

As I ride in the ambulance, all I can think about is the fight we had. I feel guilty, because she wouldn't have been in that stairwell if I hadn't told her to get out. She was pregnant, I shouldn't have told her to get out. 

"Mar-rk?" I hear her mumble. "Lex?" I say, lost for words. I grab her hand, as she starts to open her eyes. "Wh-hat ha-appe-end?" she asks, looking around. "You feel down the stairs, Lex." I say, putting my hand through her hair.

Her eyes got wide. "Mark, that baby." she stutters, and her stats start beeping. I look over to them, and then back at her. "Lex, you need to calm down, okay?" I say, looking into her eyes. "Ok-kay." she says, and her heart rate starts slowing down. 

"Okay," I say, as we pull up into the hospital. The EMT opens the door, and I see Bailey and Addison already waiting outside. "What the hell happened Sloan." Bailey says, as I get out. "She was pushed down the stairs." I say, tears forming in my eyes again.

"What?" she says, surprised. "Please, you have to help her." I beg to both of the, as they take her to the trauma room. "We need an ultrasound in here now!" Addison yells at her intern. The intern runs, and grabs the machine. 

"Okay, lets take a look at this baby." she says, putting gel on Lexie's stomach. "Okay, uhm," she says, moving the wand around. "Addison?" I say, looking at her. "Everyone quite!" I hear her yell. 

Then there was a heartbeat, but it wasn't loud, it was quite, but it was there. "Addison?" I yell. "The baby, it needs to come out." she says, putting the wand back on the machine. "Wait, its too early!" I hiss. "Mark!" Lexie says, crying. 

"Shh, Lex its gonna be fine." I say, comforting her. "Addison, its way to early!" I state. "Yes, but if you want this baby to have a chance of survival, you want to take it out." She states. "Prep an OR for a emergency C-Section." she barks at her intern. 

"She has some bleeding in the upper torso, but that can be taken care of after Addison takes the baby out." Bailey states. "Wait, we need a brain CT." Bailey states. "One of you interns, page Shepard ASAP." she hisses at them. Not more then two minutes later, he comes running in through the door.

"Mark.." He says, looking at me. "Just go, and take care of her." I say, looking at the ground, my tears dripping down on the floor. "Mark, I want you in the OR." Lexie says. "Lex, I don-" I say, but get cut off by Derek. "You can be in the OR." he says, "but if things get bad, your out." he adds. "Okay." I state.

"Okay, we need a head CT, to make sure theres no brain bleed." he says, as they start rolling her to CT. "This should take no more than three minutes, do we have that?" he asks, as we run down the hallway. "We have about ten/fifteen minutes to get the baby out." Addison says, running behind us. 

"Okay, meet us in the OR then." Derek says, as Addison and Bailey runs to the OR. They put her into the CT, and within two minutes we have the results. "See, there is a brain bleed." he states, getting up. "Okay, lets go to the OR." he says, running. 

We get to the OR, and scrub in. I walk straight over to Lexie. They haven't put her under yet, "Mark, I want you to be by that baby's side." she says, looking at me. "Okay?" she says. "Promise me?" she says, looking at me with puppy dog eyes. "Okay, I promise, but don't pull anything funny Lexie Grey." I say kissing her forehead.

"I will not leave you, not yet." she says, and then they put her under. "Okay, its a beautiful day to save lives." I hear Derek say, and then everyone gets to work. About five minutes later, Addison gets the baby out. 

"There is no crying, call NICU and tell them we are coming up." she says, putting the baby on the cart. I think about what Lexie told me, about going with the baby. I can't just leave her. Addison starts running out with the baby, and I start running after them. 

We get up to the NICU, and they are hooking up our baby to the machines. "She is premature, but she actually has some pretty good lungs," she says, as the room fills with crying. "That is pretty amazing." she says. "Why are you putting down the tube then?" I ask.

"She is still premature, her lungs may be good for crying, but she still needs the tube." she says. They put the little blindfold over its head. Just then, I realize, I never found out the gender of the baby.

"Addison, whats the gender of the baby?" I ask suddenly. "Its, a girl." she responds, still making sure everything is okay with her. "For being born four months too early, she is a really strong." she says, looking up at me. 

"She is a Sloan/Grey." I say, smiling. "You can go over to her now." she says. I start walking to her. She has my nose, and she has Lexie's brown hair. "She is perfect," I say, looking at her. "Congrats, dad" she says. "I need to go see Lexie." I say, looking back to Addison. 

"I can stay here with her, go check on her." she says, going back over to the baby. "Thank you so much!" I say, running out of the room, and to the OR floor. I walk into the scrub room, and I see that everything is going smoothly. 

I see Derek finishing up, and I am pretty sure he got the bleed to stop, and Bailey is closing her up. I look up, and just stand there, relieved. They finish closing her up, and they put the drugs into her to reverse the sleeping one. 

I walk out of the room, to see Derek walking out, and Bailey. "The surgery went great." they both said. "Oh thank god." I say, breathing out. I walk out, too see them taking her to recovery. "Can I go with her?" I ask, looking at them. 

"Yes, of course." Bailey says. "Wait, before, congrats on your?" Derek asks. "Girl, little girl." I say, smiling. "Congrats." they both say, and with that I am following the love of my life, up to her recovery room.