Chapter 47

Previously on, Slexie - What If? 

"Thats me" I mumble. "Okay, we just need to ask you a few questions, and then we can call the doctor in." She says, taking out a piece of paper. 

_________________________

Lexie's POV

"Do you smoke?" she asks. "No" I respond. "Have you ever been pregnant before?" she asks me. "Yes" I say. "Okay, that should do it for now" she responds. She lays me down on the table. "I will go get the doctor now" she says. Before she leaves, she hands me a hospital gown. 

I quickly change into it, and put my original clothes on the counter top. I sit back down on the bed, and wait for the doctor to come. I hear the door open, and I sit up. But it isn't the doctor who has opened up the door.

Mark's POV

I can't stop thinking about Lexie's appointment today. I quickly make it back down to the ER, to wait for something to come in. But even then I can't stop thinking about Lexie. "Bailey, I have to go somewhere" I tell her. "Okay, just take the rest of the day off" she replies.

I quickly run to the birth area of the hospital, go to the check in desk. "Lexie Grey, please" I say, getting impatient. "room 431." she replies without looking up from her computer. "thanks" I mutter, and run to the room. I see a nurse just coming out of her room.

'Should I do this, or shouldn't I?' I ask myself. 'You have to, its your kid' I think. I make up my mind, and decide that I am going in. I make a dash for the door, and open it. I walk in and see her laying down on the bed. She slowly gets up, but her eyes open wide.

"Mark, I-I didn't expect you here." she stutters. "Yeah, well, I didn't really know if you wanted me here." I say, rubbing the back of my neck. "I mean, its up to you" she responds. "I will stay" I say, smiling. She smiles a little smile back at me.

"okay, are you ready?" the doctor asks, coming in. "Yes" she responds. I take a seat next to Lexie, and wait for her to start. "Okay, the gel will be cold." she says. She squirts the gel on her stomach, and Lexie flinches a little.

I want to comfort her, but I can't because I have ruined it with her. "Okay, your baby is right here" she says, pointing to the screen. I see Lexie smile, and I can't help but smile too. "Would you like to hear the heartbeat?" she asks. "yes?" Lexie asks, looking over to me. "Yes, of course" I reply, me and Lexie not taking our eyes of one another. 

All of a sudden a heartbeat fills the room. Lexie starts to tear up, and as do I. "Would you two like pictures?" she asks. "Yeah, please" Lexie says. "Okay" she says. She pressed print, and the printer on the counter comes to life. 

She takes the pictures, and hands two to me, and two to Lexie. "See you in two months!" she says, then walks out. "Well, I better get going." she says. "Yeah, uhm" I say, looking at the floor again. "Well see you around, I guess" she says, grabbing her clothes, and going out the door. 

Today was good, hopefully the weeks to follow would be too. But little did I know, I was wrong, so wrong. 

<<>>
A/N

three more chapters!