Chapter 5

Previously on, Slexie - What If?

"I love you so much Mark." I say, cuddling my head on his chest. "I love you too Lex." He says. Then, we both fell asleep.

Lexie's POV

I woke up with a warm breath breathing down me. I look up and see Mark, still sound asleep. I smile at him.

"Hey Lexie, I just gotta do a check up" April comes through the doors, smiling at me. "Oh goodie," I respond sarcastically.

"What is going on?" Mark asks, looking up tiredly. "Time for me to get a checkup, make sure everything is still working correctly I guess" I respond to him, smiling.

"Oh great." He responds back

"Okay first we need to take blood from you, but Mark since you are in here, is it alright if I grab yours as well?," she asks, putting the band around my arm. "Yeah that's fine, get it all done" he says.

"Perfect, let me finish up with Lexie's and then I will get your's" she responds. She looks over my chart, writing down what I am assuming my vitals are at the time and checking over the numbers. After a couple minutes and less blood in me, she moves over to Mark and does that same thing.

After she gets done labeling each of our blood and putting it in the contier for the lab, she leaves the room after saying goodbye.

"Well that was fun"

"I guess." I say smiling.

"So when do you think you're going to get discharged?" I ask, changing the subject. "They were talking about tomorrow," he responds.

"That's good, but I got to say I am going to miss you stopping by whenever, plus the cuddling is good as well." I respond.

"I mean I can always stay here, and cuddle you," he says, kissing me.

"I know I have said this a lot, but I love you Lex."

He stares at me, a content look on his face. God, his eyes are perfect.

"I don't think I could ever get tired of you saying that." I responded.

"I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at you"

*2 hours later*

"Mark!" Callie says, coming into the room. "Callie, what happened?" I ask.

"Mark, you are free to be discharged now, your blood came back perfect and your stats are good, at least they are good when you stay hooked up to your machines" she smiles, slightly rolling her eyes at the end.

"That's great!" I say, trying not to let the sadness seep through my cheery persona. I know that he can tell though as he gives me a look.

"Lex, I will come and visit you all the time, it will be like I was never discharged at all, I promise" he says, placing his hand on my cheek. "Even when I am not supposed to be here, I will be here".

"Let's go get your paperwork Mark," Callie says, smiling at him. "Okay, Lex I will be right back" he says, getting up and kissing me on the cheek. I watch Callie and him leave the room.

I know he says he will stay here all the time, but what happens when he goes back to work, what happens then? I think to myself. How will I be able to walk? I think tears are starting to stream down my face.

"Lexie, are you okay?" I hear Meredith's voice call out.

"Yeah." I say wiping away the tears. But you could tell I had been crying. "How's Derek?"

"He got out of surgery, he is going to be fine." She says with a little smile, I know she can tell I am trying to change the subject. Damn.

"Now tell me why you were crying." she says, looking concerned. There it is.

"I don't know, I mean Mark is getting discharged today, and he said he would be with me a lot, but he is going to go back to work. And I mean I can't even walk. What does that even mean when I get to leave, if I do. How am I supposed to work when I only have one leg. You cannot be a surgeon and only have one leg!" I say, and start crying again.

Meredith just looks at me sadly, climbing into my bed with me and starts hugging and consoling me.

Mark's POV

"I don't know, I mean Mark is getting discharged today, and he said he would be with me a lot, but he is going to go back to work. And I mean I can't even walk. What does that even mean when I get to leave, if I do. How am I supposed to work when I only have one leg? You cannot be a surgeon and only have one leg!" Lexie says.

Just hearing that come out of her mouth, it breaks my heart. I think. I have to stay here with her as much as I can. So many people love her and care about her for her to be thinking like this.

I walk into the room. "Alexandra Caroline Grey, I love you so much. I never want to leave your side, and I want to be there every time you cry and comfort you. I will never leave you. Want to know why? Because I love you, and I have never stopped." I say going over to her, and then kissing her.

I walk into the room, Meredith seeing me and slowly getting up. "I'll let you two be, but if you need anything you know how to get ahold of me" she gives Lexie one last hug and squeezes my shoulder before heading out of the room.

"Lexie, I love you so much okay, I want you to know that. I know that there have been some severe ups and downs for us, but we are together now and that's all that matters to me. I promise to try and be here for you whenever I can, no matter what. It's you and me now, till the end. I love you so much"

"I love you too Mark" she says, tears welting in her eyes.